ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WP holder: how long can I stay in the UK after quitting

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

redflyingpig
Newly Registered

WP holder: how long can I stay in the UK after quitting

Post by redflyingpig » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:44 am

Hi everyone, I'm a work permit holder in the UK and have worked in this company for two years. For some reason I would like to return to my home country and thus need to end my current employment. I haven't hand in my notice yet because I know I only have a limited time to remain in the UK once I quit and I need to make sure the time left is enough for me to handle everything. My current visa is valid until May 20th. I've done some research and found two different opinions: 1, I only have 28 days left after leaving my job; 2, I can stay in the UK until my current visa expires. Which one is true? If the first one is true, which date is the date I "leave" the job? Thanks in advance! It would be more appreciated if any official reference is cited.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:20 pm

28 days.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

redflyingpig
Newly Registered

Post by redflyingpig » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:31 pm

Thanks for the fast reply. Do you know when this period starts? From the day I leave the company (a month after I hand in my notice in my case)?

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:37 pm

28 days starts from the day your employer informs the HO that you've left the company.

Otherwise you can stay until your leave expires. so for example if your notice period is 2 months and it starts today, you can stay in UK until you serve the complete notice period which is well within May 20 deadline.