ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cash gift

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

swilliams1
Newly Registered

Cash gift

Post by swilliams1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:18 pm

I'm confused about the requirements re a cash gift from family member (or anyone else). What I previously understood was that it was acceptable to receive money from someone - and use that money to fulfill the requirements for a settelement spouse visa.

I myself received 62,500 from my parents, and had that in a savings account for six months before applying - to the day. On application I submitted a letter from myself confirming this, and a letter from my parents stating that they were giving this to me as a gift and that it was 'under my sole control'.

I was sure that this was complying with the requirements.

The past few weeks there have been some posts stating that the ECOs would not be happy with this - that they would not like the fact that this was clearly for the purpose of the visa. As my parents stated in their letter - this gift was 100% given to me for the purpose of the visa - because they wanted to help me and my wife start our life in the UK together.

What I would like to know is if anybody has had any experience with this specific instance.

I get frustrated reading posts saying things like 'the ECOs wouldn't like it if it looks like the money has only been given for the purpose of the visa, as that would seem like a loan'.

At what point do the ECOs deal with the requirements as stated vs extropolating and speculating.

If there was another set of 'unwritten' rules, I would have fulfilled them, but as it was, I fulfilled the rules as state. But now it seems like we may be at risk of rejection because the 'ECO' may not 'believe' that I have been given a gift and that it is a 'loan' etc.

I'm getting to the point with this process of feeling like the future of myself and my family may be best served outside the UK, if the ECOS interpret things beyond the clearly laid out requirements.

I read on another forum - and I acknowledge that a post on a forum may not be accurate - that an applicant in the same situation as myself was refused because he/she didn't show the source of her father's gift (ie she didn't show where he got the money he gave her from). From everything I read here, I believed I just needed to show clear bank transfers and documents from my parents to myself - not where my parents got their money!.

as everyone here, I may be having a 'wobble' - but finding an account that I didn't find before applying is distressing.

As for everybody here, what I find disgraceful is that if there is some document or evidence that could make the difference between success and failure, it should surely be up to UKVI to enter into a dialogue with the applicant rather than rejecting first on the most minimal grounds.

I also worry about the implication that this process is not based on clear requirements and criteria. If the savings criteria is £62,500 why should an applicant fear rejection if their cash savings are £62,510? I've read a few posts here that suggest that the eco would get 'suscpicious' about this - that this would mean the savings are purely for the purpose of the visa! Yes - of course they are. Who would keep that amount of cash in a savings account for any other reason?

Obie
Ireland

Re: Cash gift

Post by Obie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:34 pm

That is true. They just don't care this days, you just need to demonstrate that this was not a loan and that it was within the means of the person who gave you this gift.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors