ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mn1 for uk born but living abroad after birth.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jho1981
Newly Registered

Mn1 for uk born but living abroad after birth.

Post by Jho1981 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:47 am

Hi I just wondering if someone can help me; I want to register my 4 years old kid to be a British; she was born in UK but after 6 months she lives in the Philippines until now . I want to get her by registering to be a British. I got my ILR two years ago. My question is can I possible apply her or register her here in United Kingdom while she's currently in the Philippines? If I do how she will do her biometric ? If not can I apply or pass her application in the Philippines ? How many percent that the application is successful? Please advice..
thank you
Jhoabundo

Indguru90

Re: Mn1 for uk born but living abroad after birth.

Post by Indguru90 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Jho1981 wrote:Hi I just wondering if someone can help me; I want to register my 4 years old kid to be a British; she was born in UK but after 6 months she lives in the Philippines until now . I want to get her by registering to be a British. I got my ILR two years ago. My question is can I possible apply her or register her here in United Kingdom while she's currently in the Philippines? If I do how she will do her biometric ? If not can I apply or pass her application in the Philippines ? How many percent that the application is successful? Please advice..
thank you
Jhoabundo
Hi Jhoabundo

The law on this is quite clear. As your child was born in the UK to a parent who subsequently became settled in the UK, she has a legal entitlement to be registered as a British citizen under section 1(3) British Nationality Act 1981. The appropriate application form is MN1 and attracts a fee of £973. Note that the application must be made before the child reaches the age of 18.

There is nothing in law or policy that would require your daughter (or yourself for that matter) to be physically present in the UK at the point of applying for registration. You can make the application from the UK while your child is overseas as her entitlement to registration arose at the point of your acquiring ILR. Your child will have to have her biometrics enrolled, though as she is under the age of 6, that will only be a photo, no fingerprints. A responsible adult will need to accompany her. Guide MN1 states as follows: "If making an application outside of the UK, in order to book an appointment to enrol your Biometrics visit http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/Global/ sign up and follow the on screen instructions. Here you will find your nearest location. There may be a service charge to be paid online depending on location; this will be made apparent on the website." So instead of enrolling her biometrics at a Post Office in the UK, she will have them enrolled at a UK visa issuing post in the Philippines.

As set out above, your daughter has a legal entitlement to registration under section 1(3). Unlike naturalisation, this is not discretionary. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Jho1981
Newly Registered

Post by Jho1981 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:07 pm

Thank you yes this what I thought so but not really sure . Thank you so much ...

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:10 pm

Please let us know what happens - it would be useful to confirm that our subtle reading of the tenses in the text of the law is accepted by the Home Office.

Chesky13
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Chesky13 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:14 am

Hi
Ive got same situation as urs. just recently applied Mn1 application for my daughter whos in philippines at the moment.
Just wandering if how was the application of ur daughter?

suraj_uk_18
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by suraj_uk_18 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi :D ,
Did Jho1981 successfully got the British Nationality for his daughter through MN1 application from the Philippines?
Did he applied or not?
what are the outcomes?
would Jho1981 would like to share to helps others like him? :shock:

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:48 pm

suraj_uk_18 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:10 pm
Hi :D ,
Did Jho1981 successfully got the British Nationality for his daughter through MN1 application from the Philippines?
Did he applied or not?
what are the outcomes?
would Jho1981 would like to share to helps others like him? :shock:
This inactive thread is over 1 year old :!: Member Jho1981 only posted twice and hasn't visited the forum since Aug 14, 2017 :!:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.