ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

college?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

koolkate
Pakistan

college?

Post by koolkate » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:48 pm

I've applied for a case in 2015 and still waiting for a decision, my question is I've applied to a college and they are asking for my status here for the fees so do I have to pay home fees or international student fees which is over £6000 and too much. I've asked my Mp and they've wrote home office a letter however college start in Aug and it's very less likely that I'll get a decision by then.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: college?

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:04 pm

You qualify for home fees once you have ILR and have 3 years residence. You have not applied for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:14 pm

Have you applied for university (Higher Education/HE) or a college (Further Education/FE)? Rules are slightly different for the two.

Also, where in the UK (which of the four nations) are you applying in and which are you resident in? Rules vary between the four.

The UKCISA site is a good place to start researching on the differences between HE & FE and between the four nations.

As CR001 has mentioned, you generally require three years of residence AND ILR on the fist day of the fist academic year to qualify for home fees. But there are exceptions.

Also, since 2016, people in England who do not have ILR, but who meet Long Residence requirements on the first day of the first academic year also qualify for home fees.
UKCISA - England: fee status wrote:In order to qualify for 'home' fees under this category, you must meet all of the following criteria: 
(a) on the first day of the first academic year of the course, you must either be:
(i) under the age of 18 and have lived in the UK throughout the seven-year period preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course; or
(ii) aged 18 years old or above and, preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course, have lived in the UK throughout either:
  •          (aa) half your life; or
             (bb) a period of twenty-years;
and 
(b) you must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course; and
(c) you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands throughout the three-year period preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course; and
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

koolkate
Pakistan

Post by koolkate » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:27 pm

I live in Scotland and currently I have no status because I was an overstayer when I submitted my application to home office which is based on 7 year child concession act.

blondesafari

Post by blondesafari » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Seriously... you have no status, and you want free education?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:02 pm

blondesafari wrote:Seriously... you have no status, and you want free education?
This comment is not necessary. We are not here to judge anyone who posts asking for advice.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:03 pm

koolkate wrote:currently I have no status because I was an overstayer
Because you currently have no legal status, you do not have lawful residence and consequently you are not "ordinarily resident" either in Scotland or in the UK. Therefore you are not eligible for home fees anywhere in the UK.

As an aside, is this forum (Immigration for family members) the correct one for a question of this nature or would it sit better in the "Claiming Benefits" or "General UK Immigration" forums?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:07 pm

secret.simon wrote:As an aside, is this forum (Immigration for family members) the correct one for a question of this nature or would it sit better in the "Claiming Benefits" or "General UK Immigration" forums?
Moved to 'General Immigration' sub forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

blondesafari

Post by blondesafari » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:14 pm

Yes, of course we are, but when something is totally ridiculous, are we not permitted to comment? It is taxpayers money after all, and I am a taxpayer, when someone who has no status (illegal) wants the British taxpayer to fund their education, you're saying I am not permitted to have an opinion? I'm sorry, but I am an immigrant, who has used these boards for information to complete my process of becoming a British citizen, and feel aggrieved that someone would think of taking advantage of the system and is part of the reason that people have a problem with immigration. Are you saying we are not supposed to express an honest opinion here?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:17 pm

blondesafari wrote:Yes, of course we are, but when something is totally ridiculous, are we not permitted to comment? It is taxpayers money after all, and I am a taxpayer, when someone who has no status (illegal) wants the British taxpayer to fund their education, you're saying I am not permitted to have an opinion? I'm sorry, but I am an immigrant, who has used these boards for information to complete my process of becoming a British citizen, and feel aggrieved that someone would think of taking advantage of the system and is part of the reason that people have a problem with immigration. Are you saying we are not supposed to express an honest opinion here?
It's Britain's Colonial past, apparently we have to pay for it now because of all the trouble we caused.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

blondesafari

Post by blondesafari » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:19 pm

So, when do the colonies start taking responsibility for their present day actions? Remind me when the last colony became independent?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:25 pm

blondesafari wrote:So, when do the colonies start taking responsibility for their present day actions? Remind me when the last colony became independent?
The EU last year lol!!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:26 pm

blondesafari wrote:Yes, of course we are, but when something is totally ridiculous, are we not permitted to comment? It is taxpayers money after all, and I am a taxpayer, when someone who has no status (illegal) wants the British taxpayer to fund their education, you're saying I am not permitted to have an opinion? I'm sorry, but I am an immigrant, who has used these boards for information to complete my process of becoming a British citizen, and feel aggrieved that someone would think of taking advantage of the system and is part of the reason that people have a problem with immigration. Are you saying we are not supposed to express an honest opinion here?
Not disagreeing with you, but you don't have to express the opinion publicly. Some members could be offended, especially as this member has been in the HO system for a couple of years now with a pending application and asking a really simple question. We are here to help all who post for advice, regardless of their circumstances.

If you don't like or agree with a post or what a poster is asking, for whatever reason, then perhaps refrain from posting a comment.

Lets kindly keep this topic on track and not wander down the road of the faults of the previous colonies.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

koolkate
Pakistan

Post by koolkate » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:12 pm

blondesafari wrote:Seriously... you have no status, and you want free education?
Seriously?! Read my question before jumping to conclusions! I asked if I have to pay home fees or international fees! I never said anything about free education which is thorough SAAS in Scotland btw and nor have I thought about applying for it because I know I am not eligible for it. You are an immigrant yourself you should know better than to comment like that without knowing the facts and insulting people.

koolkate
Pakistan

Post by koolkate » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:29 pm

CR001 wrote:
Not disagreeing with you, but you don't have to express the opinion publicly. Some members could be offended, especially as this member has been in the HO system for a couple of years now with a pending application and asking a really simple question. We are here to help all who post for advice, regardless of their circumstances.

If you don't like or agree with a post or what a poster is asking, for whatever reason, then perhaps refrain from posting a comment.

Lets kindly keep this topic on track and not wander down the road of the faults of the previous colonies.
Thank you CR001, I've been nothing but honest with the college and on this forum. I am glad there are good people like you on this forum to help people like us. Some people just completely change once they get their immigration matter sorted and think everyone else is beneath them.
Last edited by koolkate on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koolkate
Pakistan

Post by koolkate » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:31 pm

koolkate wrote:
Seriously?! Read my question before jumping to conclusions! I asked if I have to pay home fees or international fees! I never said anything about free education which is thorough SAAS in Scotland btw and nor have I thought about applying for it because I know I am not eligible for it. You are an immigrant yourself you should know better than to comment like that without knowing the facts and insulting people.So please refrain from jumping on your high horse and commenting in the future before knowing the facts fully.