ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Even HSMP Visa will not Guarantee you a job in UK, Important

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ajay Kumar Singh

Even HSMP Visa will not Guarantee you a job in UK, Important

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:14 pm

Don't get fooled that once you have HSMP VISA you are on cloud 9.

Employers are always one step ahead of you to filter you out.

A new trend is emerging now.

Employers are now refusing Job Applications on the ground that you MUST HAVE MINIMUM 2 YEARS OF VALIDITY left on your VISA.

I'm not up to date with HSMP VISA rules but I'm assuming that you can extend HSMP VISA for maximum 2 years only. So you will never have REQUIRED min. 2 years of validity in your HSMP VISA and hence you are automatically filtered out.

Call it a discrimination or whatever but this is today's reality. Live with it.

P.S. not all employers are doing the same, only few are caught red handed.

Topic is open for discussion.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:13 pm

Well, the point is NOT to compare UK with US..UK industry works in different manner..US is huge and there are a large no. of IT jobs,and i have realised that in U.S. ONLY technical skills matter.I came across a lof of ppl. who had moderate soft skills but were working for big organisations.
In UK,soft skills matter a lot and agents are one more nuisance..You have to deal with agents who dont know any thing about your skills ,so they only look at your soft skills and if u have any UK exp. or not...So even though you are qualified your job, the agents would \never pass your CV to the client.This is unfair and sad but true..
Please make sure that you work on your soft skills ,communication before you come to UK,also you HAVE to be in UK to get a job..People here dont offer you a job based on your technical skills alone on tne the phone,they would like to meet you ,asses your skills ..
And lastly, dont lose hope,keep on working toward your goal...But make sure that u have enough financial support to back you...UK is very expensive (unlike US where cost of living is low) and money can run out fast .
My 2 cents!!!

Ashish

hari15
Member of Standing

Post by hari15 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:12 pm

Again I think whether we need high soft skills or high technical skills or both depends on nature and type of job we are searching for.

If we searching for a Developer role on Contract basis, I hope technical skills will do here

But if we are looking for a permenant role, Yes soft skills is a must

also it depends on nature of work on whether it needs indivual working / team working / interaction with clients etc...

anyway it all depends on our skill, requirement and above all LUCK too. I saw many people in Uk with low soft skills working as developer(To be frank even some british born english people having very poor soft skills :wink: but they have no problem in getting job)

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:57 am

HSMP never promised a job to anyone!

It's the applicant's skill which will land him in a good job. Note that everyday several people as coming as HSMP holders.

I work in a multinational company. Recently, there has been an unofficial rule that people with no UK experience will not be called for interviews. Last few months whenever the company has advertised for jobs, they have been flooded with CVs from recent HSMP candidates. Some of them were hired and then appeared not upto the mark (not just technical, but communication etc.). Some were good but they fled immediately once they got an offer delta more than the current one.

Although it is not anyone's fault (everyone should go after a better prospect job) but the companies are suffering if people join and then leave in 2-3 months!

So, now there is a trend that they are looking for local candidates (someone who has an established family and a house and live nearby - so they are unlikely to run away if get slightly better offer in a distant place).

In last couple of years, UK job market (especially on IT sector) was quite good and people (irrespective of visa status) used to get jobs quickly.

But at present, market is very much down. Firms are not hiring much in the first place and even if they hire, they are filtering candidates thoroughly.

When the market picks up again, situation will improve again.

PS: This is for IT sector only, no idea on other sectors.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:04 am

I agree with you Hari..For Contract jobs, they wont look at soft skills..But for ppl. with HSMP ,contract job is difficult as it requires UK experience...
And now a days there are a lot of LOCAL contractors on bench,and any company would prefer a local person for contractor.

hn78
Newly Registered

Post by hn78 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:57 pm

ashishashah wrote:I agree with you Hari..For Contract jobs, they wont look at soft skills..But for ppl. with HSMP ,contract job is difficult as it requires UK experience...
And now a days there are a lot of LOCAL contractors on bench,and any company would prefer a local person for contractor.
Ashish,

I am applying from US and looking at the US GC process taking 7-8 years I was hoping to apply for HSMP. Will US experience count in UK. I have been working here for 5 years now.