ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Contract - more money Permanent - less money!

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

crusador0408
Member of Standing

Contract - more money Permanent - less money!

Post by crusador0408 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:43 am

Hi all,
I need your highly worthy suggestion on my ongoing search for the overall picture.
I am in touch with consultancy, the agency which employs you from India on the basis of some ratio and on contract basis they want you to work with their clients.
They are offering me an accomodation for one month.
They are saying 80:20 is the ratio, out of that 70% my share and 10% goes towards Company NI. I dint understand for every project is it like that?
They want me to sign one year contract.

I sorted out some pros and cons .
Pros:
-Working with them saves you risk of job in UK, incase you are not able to
find job in UK in two three months, you will just end up your savings carrying up with you and more to that frustration and may be ending up with wrong decision.
-Normally contract jobs are paid more and permanent billing is less.
Cons:
- You might end up with lesser money and feel working for 1 year too long.

My queries are:
Is it worth to join these contractors for one year? I am thinking in case you feel you have more worth in market and you can earn more , you will end up as looser.
What is the speed of work and what about bench periods, is it frequent or you just work for few days in month?

Please share your thoughts over this.
I have my ILR since march 2013, previously based on HSMP+Tier1 ext. All views are my own, am not a professional on immigration matters.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:47 am

Well..It all depends on the rate u r getting..IF u feel that YOUR take home is good ,take it .Don't worry about how much THEY r getting..
1 year contract is long,but then it also makes u safe for 1 year..
So bottom line is ,if u feel that the pay packet is good, take it.At least u have a job when u land in UK..u can leave them once u get a better job in say next 3/4 months..
R u sure that they r going to pay during bench??Is it good enough for u to sustain??

crusador0408
Member of Standing

hi

Post by crusador0408 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:06 pm

Rate will vary dude as per the clients but normally he quoted between 250-300 GBP.
When they ask you to sign 1 year contract., then can we leave that? Any legal implications or how we can leave them?
I have my ILR since march 2013, previously based on HSMP+Tier1 ext. All views are my own, am not a professional on immigration matters.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:10 pm

Sorry ..don't get it...U dont have a client still?How much are they offering u for the first client??and 250-300 GBP per hour or Per day??
Also find out from the client how much they r offering,so that u will come know how much is the agent cut(20% or more??)
I dont know which contract r u signing..Is this an umbrella company??
But umbrella cos. ONLY take u on board when u have a client, they charge u some thing to process all your accounts..But from the looks of it this doent seem like an umbrella co..

Give some more details to offer u better advice..

crusador0408
Member of Standing

Post by crusador0408 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:22 pm

sorry..250-300 pounds per day.
but he also told that client rate can go up till 500 also at times.
I am in information security field and have 4 years of work experience.
No clients still, he said it will take around 3-4 weeks to place.

Regarding bench pay i need to ask him yet..any other points you suggest to grill him better?

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:28 pm

Sorry..I dont get u still...WHY is he charging you ??For sending your CV to client??You can send your CVs directly to client and get a job..Why u need to pay him 10-20 %(or even 1%)..What is he giving u in return??Did he file Visa for you??Is he paying for your air-tickets??Wil ha start paying fromt he day u land in UK??

I would say that if u have HSMP, you can find a job on your own, and get 100% from client (unless he starts paying you some x amt. from the day u land in UK,but even in that case he will stand to gain and u will stand to lose in )

What is it about contract??Buddy, u r paying him part of your salary..He is at your mercy,not you...
Kind of baffles me,unless i have missed out some thing basic..
Ashish

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:04 pm

The company is having it easy. Daylight robbery is all I can say. He just does the job of sending your CV and mind you he is going to use the same CWJOBS and Jobserve to do this. He pockets a cool 20%.

Don't be under the impression that you have bagged a secure job unless and until he is going to pay you your living expenses (circa 1200 £) when you're on bench which I doubt he will.

Crusador, ask him the questions that Ashish has posted above and see how he stutters.

crusador0408
Member of Standing

Post by crusador0408 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:17 am

cool
m working out on few agents like these..and soon will come to know about everyones policy!
better to have a sticky thread here n help others! make sense?

MadhuSri
Newly Registered

Post by MadhuSri » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:13 am

Hi ashishashah,

I have 4.5 years of experience in Banking domain on J2EE platform for one of the top clients in the world. I have HSMP with me but need a suggestion. How difficult it is to get a job there? Is it a good idea to get a job thru consultant while in Inida or be there and try out? Thanks in advance

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:31 am

Go through this thread...Why do u want to go through some agents???
What value addition to they make??

crusador0408
Member of Standing

Post by crusador0408 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:19 am

As far as my experience is concerned with indian consultants, we all should avoid these from india.

Only thing is you need to take this risk of going to UK and finding job there sometime being idle or say expenses of a month or two you need to bear.
That way not only you can land up at a good job , also job satisfaction will be there. On the contrary, you dont know where you will be working in what conditions in case of contracts with indian consultants.

In any case you want to work with indian consultants, you can always contact them in UK if you feel you are loosing to time.

HTH

siva81

Reg : Job offer

Post by siva81 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:53 am

Hi All,

This is siva from chennai, working for good MNC Chennai, got visa on march 03 . I got an offer from one UK consultency named Amtex. They told that they will reimburse my flight fares to UK, my visa fees and provides one month accomadation intially .

Once I get a job there in UK , the sal % is 70-30. But no pay in bench period . They r telling that for java , I can be placed in weeks of time .

As I dont have UK experience earlier , not able to decide wht to do .

Guru's plz suggest and guide me in this.

Thanks,
Siva81

crusador0408
Member of Standing

Post by crusador0408 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:50 pm

Siva,
Keep in mind those are contractors, they will employee you and then you have to work for their clients on billing basis.
Better connect to your friends of friends who are working or if somebody has expeirence with those kind of consultants.
To avoid any tricks, try not to sign any bonds...so that in case you feel these guys are not good you can try other options.

Hope that helps.
Keep us posted your progress.

Good luck!

crusador0408
Member of Standing

Post by crusador0408 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:51 pm

Very good points to keep in mind if you choose contracting:
Many unwary contractors, and even some very wary ones, have been caught out by some very devious agency tricks. To be forewarned is to be forearmed though. Here are ten agency tricks that you should look out for.

1. They phone you up saying that they have several jobs that you are suitable for. They need you, however, first to supply them with references. Is this true? No, it isn’t. They do not have any jobs for you. They are just trying to find out people who take on contractors and want to know the names and phone numbers of your old bosses.

2. They’ll say, “Who did you work for at BT. Was it Graham Sutherlandâ€