ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New law Proposals - Disappointing

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shafz
Newly Registered

New law Proposals - Disappointing

Post by shafz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:42 pm

Guys!

I have read the Green Paper from HO website but few things are not clear to me

1) Once these proposals get approved in November 2008, What will happen to the immigrants who already have Permanent residence status but have not reached the stage of Naturalization yet?

2) Will these permanent residents be also asked to pass thru the 'probationary period' before applying for citizenship?

3) Will this law apply to new-comers only or immigrants already present in UK on HSMP/WP will have to suffer from these changes also?

Please advise/comment on these questions?

Regards
Shafz

Ichabod
Newly Registered

Post by Ichabod » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:19 pm

The answers to your questions are that everything has yet to be confirmed.

I'm assuming (this is my oppinion only) that once the paper has been passed the new laws will apply to everyone. It's going to be a very messy situation either way, if the new laws don't apply to those already here, it seems unfair to subject the newcomers to these new laws, and if they do apply to those already here, then it's even worse.

Anyway until anything is confirmed we're all going to be running around in circles... :(

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:47 pm

The answer to this quetion is no-one really know's, either when the new law will become a law or what will happen to people, who have ILR.

I don't believe that once ILR has been bestowed on a person it can be revoked, unless you have commited a crime.
As the law stand now ILR, means you have the same rights as every other Brit, bar the passport.

My opion is that if you have ILR now, you will be able to apply next year in Feb for Naturalistion and that the new laws will not effect you.

Emma84

Post by Emma84 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:53 pm

Siggi wrote:The answer to this quetion is no-one really know's, either when the new law will become a law or what will happen to people, who have ILR.

I don't believe that once ILR has been bestowed on a person it can be revoked, unless you have commited a crime.
As the law stand now ILR, means you have the same rights as every other Brit, bar the passport.

My opion is that if you have ILR now, you will be able to apply next year in Feb for Naturalistion and that the new laws will not effect you.
I hope that is the case, as I will just be able to avoid the new laws. If they will know any time soon when these laws will come into effect, I'll know whether I can wait till Jan or if I should go ahead and marry my British partner and apply now.

How does it usually take them to figure out when new laws will come into effect?

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:09 pm

Emma,
No-one can tell you what to do with your life, but if you and your partner have been discussing marriage anyhow.

Why take the chance of the law changing, before next year Jan?

If I had to put money on this issue. I would think that they will not be able to force this through before next year April.
April seems to be the tradition month of change for the HO.

shafz
Newly Registered

Post by shafz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:09 pm

Thanks very much for your input Siggi.

At one end, HO claims that these laws will make immigration matters straightforward and easy but it looks it will be a bit complex in some cases.... Anyhow, Let's see what happens in November, 2008 OR April 2009.

Once again thanks very much for your input guys!

Regards
Shafz

thesaint

Post by thesaint » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:58 pm

I went throw all the green paper which is a pdf file and any one can have access to it

For people who have ILR it will not be a problem because with the new proposals the last stage after the 'probationary period' will be either citizenship or ILR for those who don’t want to have a citizenship

nothing has been confirmed yet so its all up in the air

I think it will be at least another year

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:23 am

If the current government and the HO have teach us something is that all immigration changes are applied "on the spot" after approval and anyone under the category would be impacted.
When they increased the ILR requirements from 4 years to 5 years it applied to anyone on WP, HSMP, etc....
Now they want to increase the requirements for nationality; they will do the same. If by Nov 08 you are not a citizen, chances are you will have to deal with the new requirements.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:40 am

Try-one, you are of course right in one respect, that once the law is passed it is normaly with immediate effect.

Whilst the Green paper may go before the House of Commons in November 08.
I doubt if it be approved there and then and passed into law much before July 09.

Therefore I think you will have +/- 18 months grace on this one.

Please note this is only my opion on the subject!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:01 pm

When hearing politicians talking about immigration reforms, one thing is immediately clear...they do not understand the rules of the current system they are trying to reform. Likewise the press and media do not understand simple concepts like the difference between citizenship and a passport, often using the two terms interchangably without regard for the fact that you cannot obtain the latter without the former.

As a consequence their reforms are usually ill-thought out, ill-conceived, devoid of any factual reality and completely driven by what they think is popular sentiment.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

aboudi

Post by aboudi » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:13 pm

According to the law making process on this website, if the first draft of the bill is presented to parliament assuming it meets zero opposition and no changes whatsoever it will still need a good few months to become an act of law (taking into consideration the timing of introducing the first draft ie November, with the xmas holidays just around the corner) so i think everyone that has ILE now is ok to proceed with the current rules in my opinion

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/l01.pdf

thesaint

Post by thesaint » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:34 pm

My point is

According to the new proposals the end of the journey people will have citizenship or permanent residency

So for people already have ILR or permanent residency it is not going to effect them any way because they are already reached the end of the journey

But people with a temporary one they might be effected