ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National insurance and self employment

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

liren1
Newly Registered

National insurance and self employment

Post by liren1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:34 am

Hi all
I've just applied for citizenship, I'm an EU national who's also married to a British citizen and I've been here since 2001, so no issues on the residency side.
I'm self employed working through my own limited company, and I operate like tens of thousands of others such that I take a director's salary and the rest in dividends.
My taxes are all in order , and I supplied the last two statements from HMRC (they require one) which show transactions going back to 2013. However since I work this way I'm not actually paying National insurance, I pay income tax, and dividend tax and corporation tax.
Everything is completely legal and above board and I've never had any issues with HMRC.
It's too late to do anything about it of course, and I don't see any reason to, as it's a perfectly acceptable way of working.
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but would the home office take a dim view of this , i.e. will deem me to be not of good character because I've structured my affairs such as to minimize taxes ?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: National insurance and self employment

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:41 am

You are overthinking this - you have documented your status and work arrangements which are within the law. If UKVI have further questions they will let you know. Please post your timeline in the relevant month thread.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:49 am

Do you have a document certifying permanent residence (DCPR)??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

liren1
Newly Registered

Post by liren1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:53 am

I know I'm overthinking this, I just tend to be that way.

I have a permanent residence/ILR stamped in my old passport and a letter from the home office confirming this from 2005, much before they even thought of biometric residence cards. I called the home office and they confirmed to me that as long as I had the old passport and letter I did not need a residence card, NCS said the same.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:19 am

I can certainly confirm that the old-style, pre-2006, PR letter and stamped card/passport was accepted for my application last year August (PR dating back many more years).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.