ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Return BRP before curtailment end date, necessary?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rocklee
Newly Registered

Return BRP before curtailment end date, necessary?

Post by rocklee » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I was working with Tier2 general visa and my company closed in Feb 2017. After staying in UK for few months I left UK sometime in May 2017. Now, a week back I received curtailment letter through email which states my visa is curtail and now it will be valid only until the end of october. In the letter it also says, if you leave the country then you will need to "cut BRP and send it back to Home office", otherwise 1000 pound fine.

I got to know about this only now and not when I left UK, so I have carried BRP with me to my home country.
I would like to know if its really important to send the BRP back to HO? or, its fine to leave this matter and keep it with myself?

Whoever has knowledge about this or If there is anyone else who has faced this situation please let me know. Thanks

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: Return BRP before curtailment end date, necessary?

Post by Djsuccess » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:07 pm

If you have been asked to return the BRP, then do so. You don't want something as little as that to affect your future application.
I'd advise you send the BRP back to UKVI with a cover letter stating when you left the country willingly and that you left before you got the curtailment letter.
You have no use for the BRP anyway, so send it back.
Alot of things are changing and one of such is UKVI now communicating more with emails than letters through post.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

gag285
Member of Standing
India

Re: Return BRP before curtailment end date, necessary?

Post by gag285 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:17 am

I think you must return it. I once carried an expired BRP from a previous Tier 2 ICT leave and while entering UK with a new leave it was left in the passport as I produced it to the immigration officer. They actually asked me why I was carrying an expired BRP and never cared to return it. I responded that I didn't know that was required as the visa was all arranged by the employer and their solicitors and they never told me so. I had to wait for a good hour in the temporary detention because the supervisor was busy on another case and the officer could not decide whether to allow me in. The supervisor explained to me that it is important to destroy expired/canceled BRPs to prevent fraud. They finally let me in but with a warning that I should remember this in future. It may seem a trivial rule but I am sure you don't want detention at entry.