ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Register Child as British National

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sethrajpuri
Newly Registered
Poland

Register Child as British National

Post by sethrajpuri » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Hello all

I arrived in the UK in July 2012.

I'm an EU national, fully employed in the UK since the time I've been here.

My son was born in April 2014.

I'd have completed my 5 years of continuous employment - hence exercising treaty rights throughout - in July 2017.

My question is: do I have to first apply for my PR, and get it, to register my son as a British national?

My partner, the child's father, is not British or EU national.

Thank you
Simona

JAJ
Australia

Re: Register Child as British National

Post by JAJ » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:05 am

Similar question asked recently:
british-citizenship/mn1-for-a-child-bor ... 38447.html

The other parent may not be British/EU- but does that parent have Indefinite Leave to Remain or Permanent Residence/equivalent?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

sethrajpuri
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by sethrajpuri » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Thank you.
No my partner isn't settled here either.

sethrajpuri
Newly Registered
Poland

Counting First 3 months for EU PR

Post by sethrajpuri » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi all

Another quick question from me.

I arrived in the UK on 26 June 2012, and started working full time in early September that year. I've been with the same company since.

I had a job offer to start in Sep 2012 so didnt need to register at the job centre. I had no CSI from 26 June to early September. This is about 10 weeks from arriving in the UK to starting a new job.

Shall I start to count my time from June, or from September?

Thank you
Simona

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:53 am

Home Office EEA guidance on qualified persons suggests that there is an unconditional period of 3 months after first arrival, and then a further period where one is treated as a jobseeker.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 4_0EXT.pdf

This would suggest that the time period starts in June 2012. You should provide the evidence (of being in the U.K. in that period) concerned on your PR application.

Are you intending to apply for naturalisation after you receive a PR Card, with 12 months subsequent residence?

sethrajpuri
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by sethrajpuri » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:55 am

Thank you, appreciate your help.

1. How do I prove that I arrived on 26 June 2012, if thats the date I would like the 5 years to start? As a Polish national my passport wasnt stamped on entry.
I have a letter from Department for Work and Pensions with my NI number on it - thats dated 13 July. Thats probably the first letter with my name on in the UK. So my time period starts from 26 June, or from 13 July?

2. Yes, I would like to apply for naturalisation 12 months on from receiving the PR.

3. My partner (non EU; Russian) arrived in the UK the same date I did and we intend to apply together. We'll most likely use online application procedure.

Thanks
Simona

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:09 am

The time will only start in June if you can evidence it. Do you have a copy of your travel ticket to the U.K.? Bank statements showing activity in the U.K. at the end of 2012. Any rental/hotel documentation from that time?

Otherwise the likely start date will be July 13.

Your partner will need to obtain a PR Card as well in order to be able to apply for naturalisation (and as evidence of status in the U.K. more generally).

Perhaps consider the European Passport Return Service, if eligible. Keep copies of everything sent.
https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... rn-service

Once you have your PR documented, you can apply to register your son as a British citizen- assuming he was born in the U.K.. The Home Office will only need to see PR evidence from one parent (simpler if it is the mother)- not both.

sethrajpuri
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by sethrajpuri » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Thank you. This is all v clear and helps immensely.
One last question on this point: if we use the passport return service are we able to travel out of the UK (for brief periods) whilst the PR application is being considered?