ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born in UK to parents on Tier 2 General

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kk1612
Newly Registered

Child born in UK to parents on Tier 2 General

Post by kk1612 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:48 am

Hi, Sorry If these questions have already been answered.
I am on Tier 2 general visa valid until March 2019, but I am eligible for ILR (5 years route) on around 16th Feb 2018. And my wife is on a dependent visa and eligible for ILR in 2019.
We have a baby born in UK on July 2017 and have UK birth certificate. I have not applied for his Indian passport or registered his birth at the Indian embassy in the UK.
I understand that I can register my baby in UK immediately after by ILR on Feb 2018 as we have no any travel plans until March 2018.

1) which is the better route, applying for Indian passport and dependent visa for baby or directly registering in UK after my ILR?
2)How long does it take for registration process and how long does it take to get British passport after registration?
3) Can baby travel to India with registration document if it takes longer to get the British passport? Can baby travel while his British passport application under process and without OCI?
4) When I and baby can apply for OCI and how long does it take? Is it difficult to apply OCI for baby if registered in UK with out India passport?
5) I read some blogs saying, if I don't apply for India passport for the baby, there are certain benefits if I have any problems to get ILR. Can you please give me some information on this?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child born in UK to parents on Tier 2 General

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:53 am

1) which is the better route, applying for Indian passport and dependent visa for baby or directly registering in UK after my ILR?
Your choice depending on your circumstances. Baby does not need a visa to apply for citizenship.
2)How long does it take for registration process and how long does it take to get British passport after registration?
It can take a couple of months or many months, it varies. You can apply for citizenship and passport at the same time if you apply through NCS at the council.
3) Can baby travel to India with registration document if it takes longer to get the British passport? Can baby travel while his British passport application under process and without OCI?
A registration certificate is NOT a travel document. The child needs a passport to travel and board a plane.
4) When I and baby can apply for OCI and how long does it take? Is it difficult to apply OCI for baby if registered in UK with out India passport?
5) I read some blogs saying, if I don't apply for India passport for the baby, there are certain benefits if I have any problems to get ILR. Can you please give me some information on this?
Please ask your Indian OCI questions in the 'Other Countries' sub forum further down the main forum page.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kk1612
Newly Registered

Post by kk1612 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:02 am

Hi CR001,
Thank you for your quick reply.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:45 am

kk1612 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:48 am
If the child is not registered as an Indian citizen with the Indian authorities in the UK, s/he will be eligible to register directly as a British citizen five years after s/he was born in the UK. As s/he will have no citizenship during that time, s/he will not be able to travel anywhere outside the UK for that period of time.

It does not give you any advantage in the ILR process.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kk1612
Newly Registered

Post by kk1612 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Thank you

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:04 pm

kk1612 wrote:
As stated earlier, the child will need some kind of travel document to travel at all.
kk1612 wrote:
4) When I and baby can apply for OCI and how long does it take?
The OCI application seems to require a passport number as well as a copy/scan of the passport itself. I'd wait unitl after the child has been registered and has a UK passport. Then it's straightforward. The process is almost always under 6 months. Our child's took just over 4.
kk1612 wrote:
Is it difficult to apply OCI for baby if registered in UK with out India passport?
You can do it online. An Indian passport is irrelevant. What they need is evidence that the child has acquired another nationality and that they qualify through a parent. The Indian government very much prefers a foreign passport stating nationality gives that such weight as to make it requirement.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:18 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:53 am
Please ask your Indian OCI questions in the 'Other Countries' sub forum further down the main forum page.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.