ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Form - Am I section 3(2) or section 3(5)?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

grekkofile
Newly Registered
Greece

MN1 Form - Am I section 3(2) or section 3(5)?

Post by grekkofile » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Can someone please clarify if I have a choice as to which section I fill out, as both seem applicable to me. One seems to have distinct advantages for my child though...

I am British by descent, having been born in the late 60s in Australia to British parents. We moved back to the UK in the early 70s where I lived until I was 39, but I emigrated to Greece in 2007 with my partner.

We settled in Greece, married and had a child in 2010. We stayed there for 5 years before the crisis sent us back to the UK in 2012.

So, my child is Greek as is my husband. I have lived most of my life in the UK, but have also spent time outside the UK and returned.

So I am confused as to which section of the application form I am to use! The big difference is that 3(2) would give my child citizenship by descent and 3(5) would offer citizenship otherwise than by descent (which surely is preferable??).

Can I just choose between the two or is there only one choice for me?

vinny

Re: MN1 Form - Am I section 3(2) or section 3(5)?

Post by vinny » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:55 am

Your child is entitled to register under the preferential 3(5) after completing 3 years residence in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

grekkofile
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by grekkofile » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:05 am

Thank you! 😀

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:56 am

There is a choice and you can select the better option- section 3(5). You should be aware that section 3(5) registration does not require the children to have Permanent Residence. 3 years residence is enough- applies to child and both parents, usually- and both parents normally need to sign the application.

Not directly relevant to British citizenship- but presumably your Australian citizenship is still valid- have the children been registered as Australian citizens by descent?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.