ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TB test for visa extension

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bella94
Newly Registered
Algeria

TB test for visa extension

Post by Bella94 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:33 am

Hello,
When I first applied for tier 4 visa from my country 3 years ago, i had to provide a tuberculosis test. Now I'm trying to extend my visa in the UK to do my master. The university sent me a list of documents I need to provide, and TB test isn't one of them. But I can't find an official confirmation anywhere that I don't need it for extension. So now I'm worried.

Do I or do I not need to submit a new TB test?

Thank you in advance.

manorana2009
United Kingdom

Re: TB test for visa extension

Post by manorana2009 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:27 pm

exemptions

As explained in the UKVI guidance;
‘You won’t need a TB test if any of the following apply:
• you’re a diplomat accredited to the UK
• you’re a returning UK resident and haven’t been away
for more than 2 years
• you lived for at least 6 months in a country where TB
screening is not required by the UK, and you’ve been
away from that country for no more than 6 months.’

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: TB test for visa extension

Post by sah10406 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:22 pm

The exceptions quoted above are not relevant. It's not that you come under an exception, it is that there is no requirement for someone applying for leave to remain to take a test anyway. Paragraph A39 of the immigration rules states that

A39. Any person making an application for entry clearance to come to the UK for more than six months or as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner applying for leave to enter under Section EC-P:Entry clearance as a partner under Appendix FM, having been present in a country listed in Appendix T for more than six months immediately prior to their application, must present, at the time of application, a valid medical certificate issued by a medical practitioner approved by the Secretary of State for these purposes, as listed on the Gov.uk website, confirming that they have undergone screening for active pulmonary tuberculosis and that this tuberculosis is not present in the applicant.

You are not making an application for entry clearance, you are making an application for leave to remain.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.