ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK/EU working rights?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dvf
Newly Registered

UK/EU working rights?

Post by dvf » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:43 am

Hi

I have an Aus passport and UK working rights via my wife's UK citizenship. I have a 'Settlement Husband' visa with Indefinite leave to enter the UK'. I am employed by a UK company.

Does anyone know if this entitles me to work in the EU?

I am a consultant - can my employer send to work on their client sites in the EU?

Thanks!

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:59 am

No you can only work in the UK as your visa applies only to the UK.

If your company wants to send you to work in the EU you will need a work permit for that particular country.

Saying all that, if you go just for short visits don't worry about work permits.

I go to Europe regularly on business with my multi enter Schengen visa and never have issues.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:12 am

As an Australian, you don't need a visa to enter the Schengen area for a short tourist or business trip. (For example, if your employer asked you go to the company's offices in Frankfurt for a couple of days to attend meetings, or if you wanted to visit a client in Rome to discuss work, you don't need a visa.) But your status in the UK has no bearing in the Schengen zone.

(But don't feel "hard done by" because the UK is not a Schengen country! It's worth pointing out that neither would your status if you were a resident of one of the Schengen zone countries; the only difference that that would make is that if you required a visa to enter Schengen countries because of your nationality, you wouldn't need one because of your legal residence in one of them. But as you don't need a visa anyway, that is irrelevant in any case.)

dvf
Newly Registered

Working rights?

Post by dvf » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:25 am

Thanks for the replies. What if my employer wants me to send me to an EU country for 3 - 6 months?

SYH
BANNED

Re: Working rights?

Post by SYH » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:32 am

dvf wrote:Thanks for the replies. What if my employer wants me to send me to an EU country for 3 - 6 months?
You need a visa for the country you will be working in