ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

i have issue

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

maxbale
Newly Registered
Algeria

i have issue

Post by maxbale » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:52 pm

hi everyone
I do wish to have my EU citizenship stripped through no fault of my own. Is their any way I can retain this citizenship? It has been hard won. It seems unfair that it can be taken away so casually.
thanks all

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: i have issue

Post by Wanderer » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:04 pm

You'll need to clarify? You wish? Or others wish?

And under what grounds?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

secret.simon

Re: i have issue

Post by secret.simon » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:48 pm

The acquisition and loss of EU citizenship is regulated by EU law, not UK law. If it so wished, the EU can allow former EU citizens by link to the UK to retain EU citizenship. Indeed, the EU Parliament Rapporteur for the Brexit negotiations,Guy Vefhofstadt, suggested as much at the start of EU negotiations.

However, it may be difficult in practice. EU citizenship is created by the EU Treaties, which require unanimous approval of all existing EU states for any changes. And if the treaties are reopened, then everything in it (not just the proposal for EU citizenship) is up for negotiations. So, in the current febrile political environment in the EU (EU vs Visegard countries, Catalonia/Spain, AfD in Germany, etc), I highly doubt that the treaties will be opened up for renegotiations.

What may happen is that EU citizens living in the UK and UK citizens living in the UK on Brexit day (or an alternative specified date) may acquire specified rights under the terms of the exit agreement/treaty. But that is unlikely to equate to full EU citizenship.

You can retain EU citizenship by acquiring the citizenship of another EU country. As a current EU citizen, you can move to another EEA country under freedom of movement and by staying there, you may acquire any rights granted by the Exit Treaty. You could then (possibly) acquire PR followed by full citizenship of that country.

Also see this thread for other options.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.