ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Good Character - Council Tax Warning / Court Summons - Court Charges Waived

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MagicMovies
India

Good Character - Council Tax Warning / Court Summons - Court Charges Waived

Post by MagicMovies » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:29 am

Last year, I missed the payment of council tax for July 2016. They sent out two warnings and then issued a court summons. As someone had been stealing letters from my letter box (long story!), I missed these. I later found out in August, there was a court charge added to my council tax.

They had issued the court notice on 5 August, 2016 with a hearing set for 25 August, 2016.

I spoke with the Council authorities on 19 August, 2016 and gave them evidence of the last 33 months where I had never missed to pay council tax on time. The authorities agreed and we setup a payment plan wherein it was also agreed that if I paid the remaining dues per the payment plan they will waive the court fees as well.

Their exact statement
However on this occasion I will be prepared to waive the costs in March 2017 once all payments have been received on their due dates.
I paid the remaining amount per the plan (or rather immediately, a one time full settlement) and they indeed waived the court fees. I was also instructed to ignore the court notice as I had agreed to a payment plan.

Question:
  • Should I be responding "Yes" for Question 3.5 of the Form AN
3.5 Have you received any cautions (simple or conditional), warnings or reprimands in the UK or any other country?
  • If I respond Yes to the above, what should be the details I should be providing for the question 3.6 of the form AN.
3.6 Give details for each caution (simple or conditional), warning or reprimand starting with the most recent one.
The council recovery team who gave me the dates (as I did not see any of the warnings / court summons myself as they were all stolen) mentioned the following
The court does not have any digital records, so they will not have this information regarding your court notice. The only paper work they will have are
  • A request from council for the hearing
  • A request from council that the hearing has been cancelled as an arrangement has been reached
These documents will be sealed and will not be available for any one in general.
They also mentioned that even they will not disclose to anyone as it is protected under Data Protection Act, but I am guessing the Home Office will be able to get the details.

I am slightly worried and confused!

Any suggestions?

MagicMovies
India

Re: Good Character - Council Tax Warning / Court Summons - Court Charges Waived

Post by MagicMovies » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:35 am

Sorry, I forgot to update this. I did go through the FAQ for Good Character Requirement in this forum and I found the following. So, while my application may not be refused, my question is more along the lines of what I should be filling in the application form. Thank you!
Q20 - I did not pay my council tax will this lead to a refusal?

If you fail to pay your council tax this may lead to a refusal. However, if you have arranged with the local authority to pay the council tax arrears (or have paid them back) then you should not be refused.