ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK - possibly soon to be Irish too - citizen with non EU spouse

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

LiamK18
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

UK - possibly soon to be Irish too - citizen with non EU spouse

Post by LiamK18 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm a UK national living in the UK but I am thinking of applying for Irish citizenship through descent so that I remain an EU citizen after Brexit. I am engaged to a Mexican (still living in Mexico) and we hope to get married as soon as we realistically can, which would be in the new year at the earliest. We are in the process of planning where we want to live going forward. We have mentioned Ireland - we visited a few years ago and really liked it there. I have started to look more at some potential immigration options for us there.

Assuming I have my Irish citizenship by the time we are ready to move, I was looking at applying for the Spouse of an Irish citizen visa for my partner. I was feeling pretty confident about this, even after reading everything on the Inis website....the documentation they listed you need to provide seemed straightforward enough. As always though, the more you read the more complicated it gets. Some people have mentioned that you need to have made 40k euros over the previous 3 years for this? I wouldn't have that unfortunately as I was a student until earlier this year. There's no mention of any financial requirements on this page - http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/wp07000024.

I'm also aware of non-EU family members being able to obtain the stamp 4 visa if an EU citizen wants to bring them into Ireland through EU treaty rights. As it stands I'm an EU citizen but after Brexit I wouldn't be, hence me wanting to get Irish citizenship. But if my Irish citizenship complicated things and meant we had to go through the spouse visa route and therefore a financial requirement I couldn't fulfill, then maybe I would hold back for now....

Any advice on the best method available to us would be much appreciated, thanks!

ajmm
Newly Registered

Re: UK - possibly soon to be Irish too - citizen with non EU spouse

Post by ajmm » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:25 pm

Hows it goin,
I recently did it, and coincidentally, I was in Mexico too, (5 years or so), what you are wanting to do is relatively straight forward, but it must be done right.
Where in the UK are you from/living? (There´s good reason I'm asking this)
Let me know if ya see this message and I will fill ya in.