ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA route - Pakistan to England 5 1/2 years in - what next?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jonathan1989
Newly Registered

EEA route - Pakistan to England 5 1/2 years in - what next?

Post by jonathan1989 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:15 am

Hi there

Contributors to this forum were invaluable to us several years ago and I just wanted to check in again to seek advise as to what the next steps for us will involve.

I am British, my wife is Pakistani. After many difficulties my wife was finally issued a family permit to Germany where I lived with her and worked from Dec 2011 until Feb 2013 (14 months). We returned to England Feb 2013 under Surrinder Singh based on evidence of our time in Germany (rental agreement, photos, work contract, id cards). We have not left England since for any duration and will have resided here for 5 years in Feb 2018.

The end goal is for my wife to take citizenship/ apply for a passport so we can travel without any restrictions. My understanding was that at 5 years she needed to take the Life in the Uk test + apply for ILR, 12 months after that she'd be free to apply for Naturalization, I'm unsure if this has changed at all though?
Please could you advise as to the next steps, what evidence must be shown and when the next steps should take place?

Thanks in advance
Jonathan

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: EEA route - Pakistan to England 5 1/2 years in - what next?

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:35 am

She needs to apply for PR under the EEA rules if she is on a residence card following SS route. Assuming you are working?? There was a bit of a rule change late last year re SS route.

ILR is for applicants who have a visa under the UK immigration rules.

Once spouse has PR, she can apply for citizenship immediately as the spouse of a British citizen. No change there and been like that for many years.

For citizenship, she requires LIUK and English B1 from an HO approved test provider.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jonathan1989
Newly Registered

Post by jonathan1989 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:52 am

CR001 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:35 am
She needs to apply for PR under the EEA rules if she is on a residence card following SS route. Assuming you are working?? There was a bit of a rule change late last year re SS route.

ILR is for applicants who have a visa under the UK immigration rules.

Once spouse has PR, she can apply for citizenship immediately as the spouse of a British citizen. No change there and been like that for many years.

For citizenship, she requires LIUK and English B1 from an HO approved test provider.
Thanks for the swift reply.

Sorry yes I meant PR, thank you. Yes I am working, have been for the duration of our time here bar the 1st month after arriving. Is there anything relevant in the SS route rule change I need to be aware of?

Am I right in believing PR can be applied for after 5 years here, so Feb 2018 for us? Is LIUK and English B1 needed for PR or just citizenship? Will the evidence required for PR be the evidence of our year in Germany as submitted for the residency card?

greatscott
United Kingdom

Post by greatscott » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:53 am

Assuming you are working?? There was a bit of a rule change late last year re SS route.
This is not correct. Please refer us to EEA regulations overturning Eind case law.

jonathan1989
Newly Registered

Post by jonathan1989 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:14 am

Can anyone answer a few of the questions raised here?

Many thanks, Jonathan