ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need to register my child as being British?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kankerot
United Kingdom

Do I need to register my child as being British?

Post by kankerot » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:05 am

Do I need to register my child as being British? Both myself and my wife are British, she holds dual nationality.

I have a UK birth certificate but nothing other than that to confirm that my child has been born in the Uk.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Do I need to register my child as being British?

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:24 am

If born in the UK to British parents then the child is automatically British and can apply for a passport directly.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:52 pm

kankerot wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:05 am
Do I need to register my child as being British? Both myself and my wife are British, she holds dual nationality.

I have a UK birth certificate but nothing other than that to confirm that my child has been born in the Uk.
You don't need to register your child as British if child is British by birth. And there's not really an option if you wanted to- there is no population/citizenship register in place in the U.K. The closest thing to such a register is operated by the Passport Office. Treat your child's British passport as a national ID document. Keep it up to date and do not throw away expired passports.

You may want to consider establishing a citizenship file with copies (certified preferably) of all documentation that could be relevant to your child having to re-evidence his or her British citizenship from scratch later on. This would include your own birth certificate and your wife's birth certificate and British naturalisation certificate, plus your marriage certificate and copies of your British passport ID pages. And if you were born after 1982, copies of your own parents birth and marriage certificates.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:24 pm

So filling in the Passport application form - doing the check and send service. I came across one issue.

Section 4 - Mothers details

My wife has US and UK citizenship but only a US passport, we have her naturalisation certificate.

Post Office said just complete the application and put down my wife as a US citizen and provide my passport details as my child is British via me - I am a UK born citizen by birth.

Section 10 - I cannot remember how long exactly I have known my friend - over 15 years and on my previous childs application I am unsure what I put down. Will they counter check an old application against the details in this one?

My friend is a registered optometrist.

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:56 am

Does the Passport service keep old applications on file? I just can't remember what I put down for how long I have known my friend - we are childhood friends.

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:17 pm

Anyone?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Don't think anyone on here knows the answer. I would put "approx. xx years". On the face of it shouldn't really be a problem.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.