ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hmpmarketing
Newly Registered

English Certificate

Post by hmpmarketing » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi everyone,

First of all I want to thank for the help I have got throughout my journey, and this forum has been simply awesome!

My wife just passed the Life In The UK test yesterday and I will soon be preparing her Citizenship Application, she already has PR, she is a EU citizen.

What we are not sure is regarding her English Qualifications, the information I have got so far is confusing so I am requesting some assistance.

She studied English at College of North West London, and took exams on June 2013 and has the following qualifications:

Cambridge ESOL Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Like (Level 1)*

*This level refers to the UK National Qualifications Framework

Certificate below.

Could anyone tell me if this would be valid for the Citizenship application? It is equivalent to Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) B2.

Thank you again!!

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Re: English Certificate

Post by Hstepper07 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:15 pm

You can only use English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) qualifications if they’re on the list. Check the list and find out.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:23 pm

ESOL is no longer accepted for citizenship applications and has not been since late 2015.

She will need to do another B1 English SELT test.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:02 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:23 pm
ESOL is no longer accepted for citizenship applications and has not been since late 2015.

Hi. Saw this on www.gov.uk under approved english qualification for naturalization.

. Approved English language qualifications

You can prove your knowledge of English by having a recognised English test qualification from an approved test centre.

You need to have a certificate to prove you have the qualification, or be able to view your results online.

You can only use English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) qualifications if they’re on the list. You can’t use other qualifications, eg GCSEs, A levels or National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Hstepper07 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:02 pm
CR001 wrote:

Hi. Saw this on www.gov.uk under approved english qualification for naturalization.

You can prove your knowledge of English by having a recognised English test qualification from an approved test centre.

You need to have a certificate to prove you have the qualification, or be able to view your results online.

You can only use English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) qualifications if they’re on the list. You can’t use other qualifications, eg GCSEs, A levels or National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs).
And do you find ESOL on the list??

See Q9 in this link (click)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:42 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:06 pm
Hstepper07 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:02 pm
CR001 wrote:

And do you find ESOL on the list??

See Q9 in this link (click)
I see your point. Maybe they should remove that paragraph entirely as it can be misleading.

hmpmarketing
Newly Registered

Post by hmpmarketing » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:05 am

Thank you for all the replies!

Thats what I thought too, a bit misleading, but I guess we will have to fork out another £150 for a test!