ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TIER 1 ENGLISH LANGUAGE - UK INCOUNTRY APPLICANTS

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chakde23

TIER 1 ENGLISH LANGUAGE - UK INCOUNTRY APPLICANTS

Post by chakde23 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:28 pm

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if one has to pass engish test even if you have 3 year Degree from a university which is shown on the assessment tool - points calculator ?

I have received a letter of comparability from NARIC as well , will I get 10 points on the basis of Degree Original Certificate & NARIC letter of comparability OR do I need to take a test as well.

Information of workpermit.com says :

Have obtained a professional qualification, not including a professional or vocational qualification, which is considered at least equal to a UK Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD in one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and The Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, the UK, the USA (note: Canada is NOT included in this list)

Does this mean only Bachelor Degree from above countries will be considered ?

Looking forward for help !!!

Chakde ! !

erpfresh

Post by erpfresh » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi chakde,

I dont think that u need to pass any English Test if u have used the tool in the official site http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk and qualify in the English requirement section.

chakde23

Post by chakde23 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:07 pm

thanks for your reply.

My degree was from India & apparently i can see the option with my university name & when i finally complete all the boxes - cant go any further to click NEXT ....not sure if there is a technical error

does the calculator just confirm your university name or it adds up score ?

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:22 pm

As per workpermit.com it is
http://www.workpermit.com/uk/uk-immigra ... nglish.htm
The United Kingdom expects migrants to have good knowledge of English, especially for the highly skilled Tier 1 category. Below is a list of countries that the UK recognizes degrees taught in English. If you have earned a bachelors degree or above from a recognized educational institution from one of these countries, you may satisfy the English language requirement under the UK's five-tier points based system.
As per Home Office it is
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/workin ... hlanguage/
# you pass an English language test on our list of approved English language tests (PDF 44K opens in new window); or
# you hold a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to a United Kingdom bachelor's degree or above; or
# you were granted permission to stay under a Tier 1 category (other than investors where there is no English language requirement) and are applying for an extension; or...
It clearly appears as contradictory

sbrennan

Post by sbrennan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:38 am

EDIT: It was indeed contradictory (please see my next post and ignore this one)

From the bia link you provided:
Full details of these requirements are in the immigration rules at paragraph 245B of part 6.
Which leads to this added bit of info:
(c) has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification), which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet or exceed the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or a PhD in the UK, from an educational establishment in one of the following countries:

Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
The Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Dominica
Grenada
Guyana
Ireland
Jamaica
New Zealand
St Kitts and Nevis
St Lucia
St Vincent and The Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
the UK
the USA,

and provides the specified documents
Link is here.
Last edited by sbrennan on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chakde23

Post by chakde23 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:39 am

ITS ALL VERY CONFUSING ....WE REALLY NEED SOME ONE TO GUIDE & CONFIRM !!!

IN THE BIA LINK ( a) GIVES US "OR" OPTION QUITE A FEW TIMES

It says either

i) english test ceritificate

OR

ii) UK degree deemed by UK NARIC to meet or exceed the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree

( nothing is mentioned about any country specifics )

OR

English equivalent to level C1 of the Council of Europe's Common European Framework

====================

full text from BIA as below

1. An applicant applying for leave to remain as a Tier 1 (General) Migrant must have 10 points for English language.

2. 10 points will only be awarded if the applicant:

(a) has the level of English language shown in the table below and:

(i) provides an original English language test certificate from an English language test provider approved by the Secretary of State for these purposes, which clearly shows the applicant's name; the qualification obtained (which must meet or exceed the level shown in the table below); and the date of the award, or

(ii) has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet or exceed the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or a PhD in the UK, and which UK NARIC has confirmed was taught or researched in English to the level indicated in the table below, and provides the specified documents, or

Level of English language Points
A knowledge of English equivalent to level C1 of the Council of Europe's Common European Framework for Language Learning or above 10

topoftheworld

Post by topoftheworld » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:30 pm

Guys,

Good News !!

One of my mates called up BIA and they have confirmed that if the points based calculator (Self Assessment Tool on the BIA website) is recognizing that your degree has been taught in English, then you do not need to take the IELTS test.
All you need is the degree certificate from your college.

Isn't it a great relief to many of us !!

Three Cheers !!

chakde23

Post by chakde23 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:32 pm

hey topoftheworld,

what number did your friend call @ BIA ?

if this is true, it should be a relief for degree holders on the assessment tool, who are not from those english listed countries...

workpermit.com has updated a calculator today ,which again is a bad news for us - it says we will have to take the tests !

captor
Newly Registered

IELTS

Post by captor » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:51 pm

hi guys

Do you know if you have an IELTS older than 2 years and you hold an HSMP and apply for tier 1 will it be accepted as it was before???

The rules doesn't state that it should be older than 2 years !!
it just said that you sould pass the test ..

chakde23

Post by chakde23 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:28 am

WORKPERMIT.COM is CONFUSING !!!!

BIA LINK ALSO SAYS THAT BIA WILL CONFIRM WITH NARIC IF THE DEGREE IS FROM ANY OTHER COUNTRY ....SEE BELOW -

Where the degree was taken in another country we will confirm with United Kingdom NARIC that the degree was taught to a competent standard of English equivalent to level C1 on the Council of Europe's Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR).

DO WE HAVE WORKPERMIT.COM MODERATOR HERE ????? CAN YOU PLEASE CONFIRM ???

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:50 pm

New Announcement:

-> UK Tier 1 visas (HSMP unavailable soon) -> Summary of Tier 1 IMMEDIATE changes, from 29 February

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom

chakde23

Post by chakde23 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks Admin,

Your link says the degree should be from the listing of select countries , whereas your calculator still says it should be a degree from the list of Countries where degrees taught in English are recognized by the UK.

My university from India is there on the list of countries but India is not amongst the countries list which is recognized by UK

Please clarify , thanks again - looking forward to hear at the earliest

-----------------------

AS PER YOUR LINK

The other possibility for an applicant to be exempt from this requirement is if they have obtained a professional qualification taught in English. The qualification must be at least the equivalent of a UK Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD degree.

Again, the UK government maintains a listing of select countries from which an applicant must have obtained their university degree. This may be verified by using the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) database of acceptable universities

--------------------------

AS PER WP.COM CALCULATOR

English Language Requirement*
Please choose one of the following that best applies to you:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your English is at least C1 under the Council of Europes Common European Framework for Language Learning

You are a citizens of a majority English speaking country on this list

You have earned a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD degree from a school on this list
( THIS LIST DOESNT HAVE INDIA / ASIAN COUNTRIES )

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:49 am

I too see conflicting report in workpermit.com similarly as I see it in HO's website.

It has 2 different reports for English language requirement

In the Points Calculator it says that degree taught in english ONLY from certain countries are accepted

and the other link it says that degree taught in english in any country are accepted provided the degree it equivalent to UK's Degree etc...

Can someone explain please.
Last edited by gainvidya on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sbrennan

Corrections to site

Post by sbrennan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:36 pm

My apologies for any misleading information on the site about the English language requirement. If a degree is accepted by UK NARIC as being taught to an acceptable level of English granted at a level equivalent to a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in the UK, it will satisfy the English language requirement.

Again, my most sincere apologies for missing that large bit of information...I realize how much these new rules are affecting some people. I made the corrections on the website.

chakde23

Post by chakde23 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:57 pm

Thanks for clarification

I have already received a letter of comparability from NARIC, will this suffice ? or do we need to order certificate seperately ?

This letter though doesnt say regarding English Medium , hope the usual NARIC letter of comparability will be fine. I have also got University Original Letter confirming English Medium INstruction - should i include it alongwith original degree of bachelors ?

Thanks again & looking forward to hear

sbrennan

Post by sbrennan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:07 pm

It may be best to contact UK NARIC again and see if it's needed to mention English language in the letter. Better to be safe.

From the immigration rules:
(ii) has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet or exceed the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or a PhD in the UK, and which UK NARIC has confirmed was taught or researched in English to the level indicated in the table below, and provides the specified documents
(emphasis mine)

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:26 pm

chakde23 wrote:Thanks for clarification

I have already received a letter of comparability from NARIC, will this suffice ? or do we need to order certificate seperately ?

This letter though doesnt say regarding English Medium , hope the usual NARIC letter of comparability will be fine. I have also got University Original Letter confirming English Medium INstruction - should i include it alongwith original degree of bachelors ?

Thanks again & looking forward to hear
I think you need that letter ONLY if your university is not in the list of the point calculator in HO website.

chakde23

Post by chakde23 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Is it what you are assuming , or do you know anyone who has applied after 29th -incountry ?

I think you need that letter ONLY if your university is not in the list of the point calculator in HO website.[/quote]

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:33 pm

chakde23 wrote:Is it what you are assuming , or do you know anyone who has applied after 29th -incountry ?

I think you need that letter ONLY if your university is not in the list of the point calculator in HO website.
[/quote]

I read that on HO website. I dont know anyone who have applied though.

MUGHAL
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MUGHAL » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:19 pm

hi all
i think we all should go to the court and assist for old rules requisition for old comers and tha's it otherwise every one from us would be a lawyer at the end as we get all the information for all the logical points.
there are many of the cases which have been challenged and successful so we must not hesitate going to the courts and that's it.
My friend came to know that he had to undergo the IELTs so he passed the IELTS band 6.0 before good and well time,as he was expecting to extend his visa after 3-4 months
now he again has come to know that he need 6.5, So who is responsible for his fee for IELTS......although he was informed by H.O about the validity of two years for IELTS (he did it in advance)so what's hell on earth.........
Regards
mughal

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:27 am

MUGHAL wrote:hi all
i think we all should go to the court and assist for old rules requisition for old comers and tha's it otherwise every one from us would be a lawyer at the end as we get all the information for all the logical points.
there are many of the cases which have been challenged and successful so we must not hesitate going to the courts and that's it.
My friend came to know that he had to undergo the IELTs so he passed the IELTS band 6.0 before good and well time,as he was expecting to extend his visa after 3-4 months
now he again has come to know that he need 6.5, So who is responsible for his fee for IELTS......although he was informed by H.O about the validity of two years for IELTS (he did it in advance)so what's hell on earth.........
Regards
mughal
As discussed above IELST is not necessary any more.

farazfastian

Post by farazfastian » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:25 am

Guys, i think we are misunderstanding the Guidance Notes which clearly says
(ii) has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet or exceed the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or a PhD in the UK, and which UK NARIC has confirmed was taught or researched in English to the level indicated in the table below, and provides the specified documents
and as we all aware NARIC never mentions anything about medium of instruction in comparability letter, just to confirm that i emailed NARIC and received following reply:

Dear Faraz,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The role of UK NARIC is to assess and compare national levels of overseas qualifications in order to determine their standing in the British education system. It is not part of our evaluation service to comment on the medium of instruction of a qualification.

UK NARIC is currently helping the Border and Immigration Authority (BIA) with qualification equivalency and English language proficiency for the new Points Based System. We are able to help individuals who contact us directly with understanding the level of their qualification when compared to the UK qualification frameworks (through a Letter of Comparability), but we are not able to help individuals who contact us directly with English language proficiency.

The BIA system uses data that has been compiled by UK NARIC to determine whether a migrant's qualification demonstrates that they have the English language proficiency levels as determined by BIA. This data has been developed solely for the use by BIA. The information on the database identifies the institutions that have met the criteria specified by BIA.

The level of English language proficiency has been determined by whether English was the medium of instruction for the migrant's studies. For more information about the English Language Requirement then please see the BIA's Tier 1 (General) Policy Guidance available on the website at www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk. UK NARIC is unable to enter into any communication about English language proficiency with any individual migrant, their employers or their representatives.

I hope this is of assistance and clarifies the situation.

Anna

Anna Cronshaw
Core Services Group Manager
UK NARIC
So i reckon we'll need IELTS or one of the english language qualification mentioned in Annex B of Guidance Notes. Please correct if i'm wrong.

Regards
Faraz

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:18 am

The BIA system uses data that has been compiled by UK NARIC to determine whether a migrant's qualification demonstrates that they have the English language proficiency levels as determined by BIA. This data has been developed solely for the use by BIA. The information on the database identifies the institutions that have met the criteria specified by BIA.
This clearly means that the universities which are present in database on BIA calculator meets the English Language requirements. So there would be no need to give any other English Language tests if your university is present on BIA calculator.

Also the form for General Tier 1 FLR - in English LAnguage Category asks you whether the tool on BIA website recognizes your degree, so that should be sufficient for English Language requirements.

farazfastian

Post by farazfastian » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:23 pm

oh yes absolutely, i think the discussion is now turned to the universities who are not present in BIA tool which is the case for countries like pakistan,india etc. For e.g. from pakistan there are hardly 4-5 universities in the tool but there are lot more universities where medium of instruction is always english and their degree is also comparable to UK.

So for those i think you'll need to prove your english language via some qualification like ielts etc.

sankar

hi

Post by sankar » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi,
Could you clarify a doubt of mine please?

I am a post graduate from Utkal University, Orissa, India. Also I have done my degree from the same.

I have got a letter from NARIC for my POST-GRADUATE.
I have got a letter from Utkal University that I passed DEGREE in Englisg language.

Utkal University is displayed in the list of institutions in the bia website. (And, my university is AICTE approved)

Do I still need to produce another NARIC letter for my DEGREE???

Someone, please answer me.
Thanks.