ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US citizen moving to Canada - Getting Married

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

eclipsethestars
Newly Registered

US citizen moving to Canada - Getting Married

Post by eclipsethestars » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:14 pm

I have a few different questions and ANY information is appreciated SO MUCH.

Background: I am a 21 year old US citizen. My Boyfriend/fiance is 20 and Canadian. We met online and have met in person. I just got home from spending 2 weeks there. I want to move to Canada this summer - But I don't know what steps I need to take or where to start. When I get there we are going to live together and we plan to get married soon after. Passports allow you to stay for 6 months, correct? I am driving back to Alberta with him in June.

1. Where can I get a Permanent Residency Application from the US so that I can start on it now?

2. If we get married (marraige license obtained) can I stay in the country or do I still count as a visitor? Also, if married can I work in canada?

3. If I start my application while I am here, and I go there in June planning to "leave" in December but get married within that time or get married before going (in the states) how does that change the process?

4. What category of Residency would I apply for if we don't get married? When I get the application (wherever I get it from) I need to know where to start. I have my AA in General Studies, have worked at my job PT status FT hours for 1.5 years as an Assistant Manager, go to school full time but am taking a year off.

5. Is it possible for me to move there and stay until my application goes through?

ANY information you can give me would be WONDERFUL.

Thank you VERY VERY MUCH

(If you have a lot of information my email is charliecobalt07@hotmail.com just put in subject that its a reply please.. like I said I can use any information you can give me!!)

nomlah
BANNED

Re: US citizen moving to Canada - Getting Married

Post by nomlah » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:58 am

eclipsethestars wrote:I have a few different questions and ANY information is appreciated SO MUCH.

Background: I am a 21 year old US citizen. My Boyfriend/fiance is 20 and Canadian. We met online and have met in person. I just got home from spending 2 weeks there. I want to move to Canada this summer - But I don't know what steps I need to take or where to start. When I get there we are going to live together and we plan to get married soon after. Passports allow you to stay for 6 months, correct? I am driving back to Alberta with him in June.

1. Where can I get a Permanent Residency Application from the US so that I can start on it now?

2. If we get married (marraige license obtained) can I stay in the country or do I still count as a visitor? Also, if married can I work in canada?

3. If I start my application while I am here, and I go there in June planning to "leave" in December but get married within that time or get married before going (in the states) how does that change the process?

4. What category of Residency would I apply for if we don't get married? When I get the application (wherever I get it from) I need to know where to start. I have my AA in General Studies, have worked at my job PT status FT hours for 1.5 years as an Assistant Manager, go to school full time but am taking a year off.

5. Is it possible for me to move there and stay until my application goes through?

ANY information you can give me would be WONDERFUL.

Thank you VERY VERY MUCH

(If you have a lot of information my email is charliecobalt07@hotmail.com just put in subject that its a reply please.. like I said I can use any information you can give me!!)
Hi,

Visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/ , you can download all forms and all they information is there. Just take your time and read it.

Good Luck,

Webmaster,

-> Announcements -> Policy change regarding member websites-> Announcements -> using this forum to solicit for or promote personal business

Immigration_facts
BANNED

Post by Immigration_facts » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:59 am

Hi there,

Good discussion.

For further information, visit:

-> Announcements -> Policy change regarding member websites
-> Announcements -> using this forum to solicit for or promote personal business

Good luck.