ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying Tier 1 from student visa--ask for help

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nauyf
Newly Registered

Applying Tier 1 from student visa--ask for help

Post by nauyf » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:29 am

Hi everyone,

Here is some questions I am confused with the new Tier 1 system. I am waiting for my viva and will finish my PhD in the UK this April. I have called the help line but did not get through. Then I wrote to the HO, and they replied to me some FAQ list. Could anyone here help me with these enquires. Thanks!

My email to the HO is as follows:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have some related enquiries about the new Tier 1 HSMP system.

1. In the new Tier 1 system you said that 'student writing up a thesis'
can switch to Tier 1 (General) - highly skilled worker programme. I have
submitted my thesis and am waiting for my viva. Does that mean I can
apply HSMP before I pass my viva?

2. I am a full-time study student and I do not have any income before
the commence of my study in the UK because I was a student at that time
as well. I do not want to claim points from the 'Previous Earnings'
section. Do I still need to prepare documents for this section besides
the offical letter from the University?

3. Are the approval letter and the LTR visa issued at the same time
(they are two separate steps in the past)? ---- which means I post my
passport, and if it is approved, will I received my passport with the
LTR stamp on it?

4. How long is the estimated processing time now?

Your time and patience are highly appreciated.

Yours sincerely
xxx

nauyf
Newly Registered

Post by nauyf » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:11 pm

Does anyone know? Thanks!!!!

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:13 pm

1) All students can switch.
2) If you're not claiming for it no evidence is required. You'll need a PhD to qualify with no previous earnings though.
3) Same time I assume, it's all one process and passport is required.
4) How long is a piece of string?
________
DC MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
Last edited by WoodieG on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmmsa5
Newly Registered

Post by mmmsa5 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:58 pm

You need to have finished your PhD i.e finish write up (where you are now), then viva, then any corrections, and hard bound thesis submission). You need a letter to confirm that PhD has been awarded. Usually you get this confimation when you have met all the requirements mentioned above and have gone theough appropriate senate or faculty board meeting.

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:38 am

mmmsa5 wrote:You need to have finished your PhD i.e finish write up (where you are now), then viva, then any corrections, and hard bound thesis submission). You need a letter to confirm that PhD has been awarded. Usually you get this confimation when you have met all the requirements mentioned above and have gone theough appropriate senate or faculty board meeting.
No you don't, read the guidance. Students no longer need to complete their course before applying.
________
NH SERIES

mmmsa5
Newly Registered

Post by mmmsa5 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:50 am

WoodieG wrote "No you don't, read the guidance. Students no longer need to complete their course before applying".

So you think they will award 50 points for the PhD which you have not yet finished?. If so, HO might start awarding points for qualification which you INTEND to do. How cool would that be.....

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:27 pm

mmmsa5 wrote:WoodieG wrote "No you don't, read the guidance. Students no longer need to complete their course before applying".

So you think they will award 50 points for the PhD which you have not yet finished?. If so, HO might start awarding points for qualification which you INTEND to do. How cool would that be.....
No, they obviously won't award points for a non-existant qualification. The question was whether someone can apply which they can. One used to have completed their course in order to switch, this is no longer the case.
________
Montana medical marijuana

nauyf
Newly Registered

Post by nauyf » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:43 am

Thank you very much buddies~~

I think both WoodieG and mmmsa5 have your own standing points. The first enquiry is the biggest confusion to me. As the change of the program like 'student in the writing-up can switch to Tier 1' seems conflict to the UK experience or qualification evidence.

The so-called 'helpline' is not helping at all, because I know sb. kept calling a long time and finally got through but the body over there had an unclear understanding of the new policy and couldn't help at all. I don't know how long it will take for the HO themself to understand what they said to themselves.

nauyf
Newly Registered

Post by nauyf » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:27 pm

Anymore ideas from other experienced seniors? :shock:

irfankais
Newly Registered

Post by irfankais » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi,
immigration rules clearly say that those who r currently in UK with a valid leave as student, students re sitting exams or students writing up thesis can switch to tier 1 unless they have successfully completed their course.

it means that if you were given EC to do phd, u need to complete it first.

writing up thesis is a type of leave to remain as student who were unable to finish the course within a set time and even beyond the re sit time as well , it does not mean that if u r writing up ur thesis, u will be awarded points for phd.

Best of Luck young chap

vino22
Newly Registered

Post by vino22 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi all,
I read your post about switching to Tier I from student visa. I am a PhD student as well, waiting for my viva. I have submitted my thesis in october 2007 and waiting for viva whic would be held in april. Meanwhile I got an offer from company and working full time from january. I called the home office before joining this company and they said I can work upto 4 months in student visa, provided I dont have any commitments with course. I asked my project supervisor and he did not have any objections, and hence am workin from january. But am planning to quit end of march. Will this affect my Tier 1 application , as NI number has been included in the application recently. Meanwhile International office in my university, said that I cannot work fulltime, since I have to prepare for viva. But i had enough time to prepare from mid-october to december, and am working only from january.
Do you think I should explain my situation in the cover letter when I apply for Tier 1, along with a no-objection letter from my academic supervisor. Or should I not mention it, as they may not check the NI number,as am not claiming points for previous earmings. Kindly advise me.

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:04 pm

irfankais wrote:Hi,
immigration rules clearly say that those who r currently in UK with a valid leave as student, students re sitting exams or students writing up thesis can switch to tier 1 unless they have successfully completed their course.

it means that if you were given EC to do phd, u need to complete it first.
Not sure which immigration rules you've been reading.
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/policy ... es/part6a/ This does not state the course needs to be completed in order to switch. One only needs to complete the course if one is claiming points for the qualification.
________
Babi mac break away