ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Airways

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wanna_bee
Mood:
India

British Airways

Post by wanna_bee » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:35 am

Hi All ,

Has anyone traveled BA recently from India to UK ? I wanted to know if they really allow 32kgs of check in baggage ? Has anyone carried that much on BA ?

i'm trying to decide which airlines to fly. my main criteria is check in baggage allowance, i have over 30kgs of checkin baggage. i think it finally boils down to BA or Jet .

anyone has any views / experiences to share on this ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
wanna_bee

rrst_101

Post by rrst_101 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:58 am

Hi,
BA allows 32 Ks, but the problem is it shud b only one peice. I find a lil irritiating to stuff 32 Ks in one bag. Jet allows u 40 Ks(2 peices) if you prove that ur visa is of migrant type. But Jet does not have direct Blore-London, theres a stopover in Bombay whereas BA has direct flight.

Cheers,
x

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:17 am

I find that most UK carriers are strict about luggage requirements. Often, you can get better allowances if you avoid a UK-based carrier and go with someone that's not UK..

It might be helpful to check the websites for the carriers that have routes from where you want to go. It's probably worth the connection (as opposed to direct), because shipping things in can be quite a hassle.

Good luck.

ash123

Post by ash123 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:58 am

rrst_101 wrote:Hi,
BA allows 32 Ks, but the problem is it shud b only one peice. I find a lil irritiating to stuff 32 Ks in one bag. Jet allows u 40 Ks(2 peices) if you prove that ur visa is of migrant type. But Jet does not have direct Blore-London, theres a stopover in Bombay whereas BA has direct flight.

Cheers,
x
how can you prove that you are the migrant type ?
also i think jet is cheaper than BA!

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:16 am

ash123 wrote:
rrst_101 wrote:Hi,

Cheers,
x
how can you prove that you are the migrant type ?
also i think jet is cheaper than BA!
show your visa/paperwork - to prove you're staying in UK long term..hence need lots of stuff.

indian_uk

Post by indian_uk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:18 am

Hi ...........32 Kg is inclusive of the hand bag...........I was carrying a hand bag of around 6-7kg and and one hold lugage of around 26-27kg.

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:22 am

Hi,

I just booked a ticket in Jet for 28th of this month from BLR to London. The check in limit is 40 KG (Two bags not exceeding 32 KG per bag) + 7 KG cabin baggage + one lap top bag is what is written in the web site. I also confirmed the same with their call center.

Also, Jet is cheaper (I paid 18 K including taxes). BA was somewhere around 20K I think.

Vikram
Citizenship applied on 13th Oct @ NCS Wandsworth...

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:25 am

Hi Vikram,

Did u tell them that u r a Migrant??Did u book with Jet directly or through an Agent??

Ashish

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:29 am

I booked the ticket my self, using their website. I have checked with their customer care and also have taken a printout of the web page which talks about migrant visa and luggage limit.

Nowhere on the ticket the limit is mentioned.

Vikram

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:59 am

air india allows 32 kgs checked in baggage. no retriction as far as i am aware on bags number. hand baggage allowance extra, forgot exact hand allowance. travelled last month and mine was exactly 32kgs. but the direct flights with airindia are better than the ones with fuel stops in another indian city.

pdeshpande

Post by pdeshpande » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:42 pm

Hi,

I think Jet is a better option. I came to the UK on 18th Jan by Jet. I had 43.5 kgs of check-in baggage and around 17 kgs of hand-baggage (1 laptop bag and a strolley bag).

The main thing is make sure that you carry some kind of proof that 40 kgs is allowed for Migrant Visas. I had called Jet Customer Care and there they had confirmed me about this, but on the day of flying at the check-in counter nobody was aware of this rule. Not even the Jet Manager at Mumbai Airport. Unfortunately I was also not carrying any proof of this.

I told the lady at the check-in counter to call up their own Customer Care and confirm about this. She did not call up the Customer Care though, but allowed me to carry all of this luggage with me.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

pdeshpande

ammu28

Post by ammu28 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:43 pm

I travelled on Work permit last month to UK with around 35 kgs in BA.
There was no issues at all.

My colleague was having 2 bags both weighing 25 kgs. The did not charge anything . I was so suprised.
:shock:
Sometimes they allow. Dont know what criteria they applies ??

Regards,
Ammu

ash123

Post by ash123 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:18 am

How do we carry migrant proof ? Basically what proof do they need ?
looks like having the visa stamping does not suffice.

Also, while travelling to UK do we need to get travel insurance coverage or some kind of international insurance coverage ??

wanna_bee
Mood:
India

Post by wanna_bee » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:24 am

Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to fly Jet airways.

ash123 : for "migrant proof" , i think the visa is sufficient . also the hsmp approval letter , maybe. there is nothing else , no ?

i donot think we need insurance while traveling coz once you land there you are covered by NIH , correct ? anyone can clarify this ?

regards,
wanna_bee

hur
Newly Registered

Post by hur » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:40 pm

wanna_bee wrote:i donot think we need insurance while traveling coz once you land there you are covered by NIH , correct ? anyone can clarify this ?

regards,
wanna_bee
I think, it's better to have insurance for more cover because there might be delays in availing NHS appointements. Better to take insurance from India itself because UK insurance costs more, comparably. And also, I think, Indian insurance is valid for first 6 months only(once you land in UK) and thereafter you need to go for UK insuarnce, if you want.

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:52 pm

wanna_bee wrote:Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to fly Jet airways.

ash123 : for "migrant proof" , i think the visa is sufficient . also the hsmp approval letter , maybe. there is nothing else , no ?

i donot think we need insurance while traveling coz once you land there you are covered by NIH , correct ? anyone can clarify this ?

regards,
wanna_bee
dont dig your own grave by travelling without insurance. nhs does not cover u if u just move to uk or not working. even emergency doesnt cover everything. eg if u have heart attack or accident, they wont charge u in A&E but later on ward they will bill u especially if new in uk and no work. see eg of another hsmp who has been billed recently. see my response in that thread for link to nhs rules of entitlement http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=24313 icu charges etc can be atleast 2000 - 3000£ a day excluding renal support etc, any special procedures may cost etc, just my estimates (based on working in icus) and not exact figures

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:56 pm

u can get longer insurance from india for extra cost.

kmehta

Post by kmehta » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:53 pm

I have booked jet airways for my travelling with luggage confirmation on tickets. also taken print out of website mentioning immigration visa holder luggage limits.
for insurance anyone can confrim that indian insurance are not applicable after six months??
what happened when you dont have job at time of interview at NI??

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:28 pm

kmehta wrote:I have booked jet airways for my travelling with luggage confirmation on tickets. also taken print out of website mentioning immigration visa holder luggage limits.
for insurance anyone can confrim that indian insurance are not applicable after six months??
what do you mean NI ?

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:32 pm

vinay shanthi wrote:
kmehta wrote:I have booked jet airways for my travelling with luggage confirmation on tickets. also taken print out of website mentioning immigration visa holder luggage limits.
what do you mean NI ?
Interview for registration with National Insurance?

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:34 pm

hsmp_1476 wrote:Hi,

I just booked a ticket in Jet for 28th of this month from BLR to London. The check in limit is 40 KG (Two bags not exceeding 32 KG per bag) + 7 KG cabin baggage + one lap top bag is what is written in the web site. I also confirmed the same with their call center.

Also, Jet is cheaper (I paid 18 K including taxes). BA was somewhere around 20K I think.

Vikram
Hi Vikram, was that a return ticket?If not, how much is a return ticket from India?

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:15 pm

thirdwave wrote:
vinay shanthi wrote:
what do you mean NI ?
Interview for registration with National Insurance?
u dont need a job to get NI. i know people who have got NI without a job. you only need to show that u r looking for a job. so start applying for jobs and use the rersponses that u get even if negative as proof of job search. send applications by registered mail and use that as job search proof and apply for NI after u have proof for a few applications. getting jobs is easier if u have NI. some ignorant employers reject applications if u dont have a NI. having a NI is not compulsory to get a job but makes it easier to get one. after u get job if u dont have Ni, they will issue u a temporary #. this has been discussed before, so do a search on NI using the search feature on this forum and read through the results. u will find previous discussions on the same topic and some of my responses for them as well.

kmehta

Post by kmehta » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:51 am

I meant NI as insurance. thanks vinay for advice. I was told to get NI first but at time of interview u need to have some job offers. u made it clear.

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:34 am

hi thirdwave,

18K is for one way ticket. i am not sure of a return ticket.

Vikram

ak_g

BA Baggage Limit From bangalore

Post by ak_g » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi,

I am having following luggage and planning to fly using BA from Bangalore Airport this weekend.

a) 1 28 KG suitcase for check-in
b) 1 strolly beg weighing 10 Kg
c) 1 laptop bag wighing 5KG.

The weight limit on the BA weight limit is ambiguous and I am not sure whether they allow 23Kg or 32 KG as check-in luggage. http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ba ... blic/en_in and http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ba ... blic/en_in

Please share your experience whether it caould be a problem for me.

Thanks