ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Citizen applying for British Citizenship.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Taniasofiamourato
Newly Registered

EU Citizen applying for British Citizenship.

Post by Taniasofiamourato » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi, I have a couple questions I would like answered if possible as I am currently very confused on my situation as I'm currently at the end of the process of applying for British Citizenship.

I am Portuguese born national who was born over there and then at the age of 5, in 2002, my parents and I moved over to the Uk. I have been in full-time education all this time ( i started year 1 here - I am currently in my first year of university doing a science degree) and I have worked part time since the age of 17 during term and full-time during the holidays (i am now 19). In August, my family decided it was time to apply for our permanent residence cards and we received these in the mail in November 2016 and i have passed my life in the uk test and my English langauge test which was needed.

However, one of my questions is that I am lead to believe that until the age of 18, I was a dependant on my mother who worked full time - so this time of being a student would count towards my 5 years requirement as exceeding treaty rights - but I have not held private or European health insurance from Portugal from the age of 18. I have, however, been employed all this time expect from September 2016 - December 2016 when I went to university and then I worked from December 2016 - to January 2017 to my old workplace as a seasonal employee over Christmas holidays. I then managed to secure part-time employment at my university (at Greggs) for 10 hours a week minimum (I'm doing an average of 12-15 during term time at the moment). my question is, would I be fine applying as a student whose self-sufficient? I have no problems proving my employment and I have savings in my bank account.

another question which I have is that when i took the life in the UK test back last April and passed, on certificate my first name somehow was added to the middle name field (my passport is listed as first name : A B. Last Name: C D). they let me take the test and now my certificate says first name: A B. Middle Name: A Last name C D. would if cause a problem or should I retake the test again just in case? The person there did say she was going to electronically add an amendment or something to my results electronically letting the home office know of the glitch but im still hesitant.

A final question that i have is that when filling out the application form for naturalisation, on 1.5 it says "state the name as it appears on your passport so i out "last name: C D" and first name "A B" however, my last name is only C and D is in fact a middle name (A and B are unhyphened first names - the Portuguese birth certificate just states A B C D as a full name is does not have separate first, middle and last name sections. I am known as only D for last name everywhere (except for driving licence which they just put what was on my passport - which is fair enough) but when it comes to education, my full name is all there but not with C D as las name but as middle and last name, would this casue a problem? or is it best to apply, then change my name's order by deed poll somehow and then apply for a passport instead of using a joint passport application? also do i have to submit evidence of this name? because it's still the same name but different order?

Sorry about the long questions but i would rather know before applying than to risk my application.

Thank you so much for your time.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: EU Citizen applying for British Citizenship.

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:45 pm

Just a few comments on your post (very long not easy to read):
For AN application you must use your "official" name - this will appear on your naturalisation certificate and the passport office will want to see your name in your current passport. Youe birth certificate is not required. I wouldn't stress about changing name by deed poll.
Life in the UK: I think you should be ok. You have a valid pass certificate which has already been submitted to Home Office by the test centre - quote the number on the AN form.
As for applying as studen, part time work, CSI: you are not re-running PR - you have that already. I believe as a student you count as a dependent up to 21.
Recommend you use NCS / JCAP with your council - you will keep your originals.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:23 pm

You should also show that you satisfy the residence requirements for naturalisation.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Taniasofiamourato
Newly Registered

Post by Taniasofiamourato » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:08 pm

alterhase58 wrote:Just a few comments on your post (very long not easy to read):
For AN application you must use your "official" name - this will appear on your naturalisation certificate and the passport office will want to see your name in your current passport. Youe birth certificate is not required. I wouldn't stress about changing name by deed poll.
Recommend you use NCS / JCAP with your council - you will keep your originals.
So when filling out the passport application could i put "D" in the surname box and then "A B C" in the first name and middle name boxes? but on the AN form put AB and CD?

sorry for the confusion but it is one thing that has always annoyed me is that my surname is D and not C D :roll: :lol: so it's why I'm so adamant about changing it.

thank you for your time.

Taniasofiamourato
Newly Registered

British Passport application name

Post by Taniasofiamourato » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:02 am

Hi i would like to know if anyone is able to help me or give me some insight.

I am currently a Portuguese national who is looking to send off my naturalisation application very soon and i have noticed when filling out the passport and the naturalisation application that the name that appears on the passport has to be the same as the one on my Portuguese passport. However, my name is A B C D with A B not hyphened and appearing on the forenames in my Portuguese passport and C D (also not hyphened) appearing on my surname section.

However, Portugal does not have middle names as such and I consider (and use on my university, Tax, work and all those things) C to be the middle name and D to be the last name. I know that the names have to match on everything but as I only want to shift C over to the middle name on the British passport, I was wondering if i would be able to have it like this on the British passport and the chances of this being possible? i can provide proof of using C as a middle name and D as the last name in daily life. This isn't something which i can solve by essentially changing my name in Portugal as i do wish to maintain my name as it is but have the A B C all in the first names on the passport and D on the surname.

Thank you very much for your help.

Taniasofiamourato
Newly Registered

Error on life in the uk certificate

Post by Taniasofiamourato » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi i was wondering if someone could help me.

I took the life in the uk test but for some reason my name glinched out and instead of

First name: A B
last name : C D

It put my name as

First name:A B
Middle name: A
Last name: C D

This was a computer glinch and i think its clear that i wouldnt purposely put my name as that? :lol: the women advided me i could still take the test (if not i would lose the fee regardless :roll: ) and that she added a comment on my test when she sent it off to the home office electronically.

Would this be an issue? Should i write a cover letter explaining? I want to send it off next week so i didnt want to have to retake it as the city im in dosnt do it and would involve a trip into london :lol:

Thank you so much!

Taniasofiamourato
Newly Registered

Cant rememeber airport of arrival

Post by Taniasofiamourato » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi i have a slight issue filling in my application for naturalization,

I was 5 years old when i first moved to the UK so i cant remember what airport i landed in but i know it was either heathrow, luton or gatwick. I have asked my brother who was 7 but he was too young to rememeber and my mum has no idea as its been so long and we cant find any records as it was so long ago :lol: any idea what i should write instead?

Thank you!

ess212
Newly Registered

Re: Cant rememeber airport of arrival

Post by ess212 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Are you asking about Section 2.1 which asks for your place of arrival? You should be able to put the town if so. I just put "London, England, UK" and that seemed to work fine- I wasn't sure if it was Gatwick or Heathrow.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Error on life in the uk certificate

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:50 am

It should not be an issue.

Also, please keep all your questions on the same application in ONE topic (this one with all posts merged). It is not necessary to start a new thread with each question.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.