ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Having a baby on a Tier 2 Visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

canadian86
Newly Registered
Canada

Having a baby on a Tier 2 Visa

Post by canadian86 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:51 pm

Just a quick questions:

My wife and I are Canadian and I'm on a Tier 2 Employer Sponsored Visa and she has a Tier 2 Dependent Visa. We are considering having a baby but we want to know if we have to get it a visa once it is born, and whether or not we will have to pay the health care surcharge. If it does need a visa do you know which category we would have to apply under and how much it would cost? A the cost of the health care surcharge for the baby?

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Having a baby on a Tier 2 Visa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:15 pm

How long have you been in the UK on a Tier 2 visa?

When will you qualify for ILR?

Ideally yes you should get a visa, especially if you have sudden emergency travel but no mandatory requirement to apply for a visa immediately etc.

The visa will be the same as your wifes' visa and yes you will have to pay IHS plus the visa fee of £677 for a postal application. The IHS depends on the duration of the visa but it is a standard rate of £200 per year.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

canadian86
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by canadian86 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Thank you for the info - much appreciated.

I had a Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa from Aug 2013 to Aug 2015. In Aug 2015 I switched to a Tier 2 Employer sponsored visa that is due to expire Aug 2019. Can I apply for ILR in Aug 2018 or does it have to be 5 years on the same visa?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:01 pm

5 years on Tier 2 unfortunately.

Tier 5 would only count for ILR based on 10 years long residence.

Depending on how close to ILR you have a baby, you likely won't need to apply for a visa at all and once you have ILR, you can register the child as British, which is an entitlement if born in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:07 pm

Forgot to mention that if you have a baby AFTER you already hold ILR, the child will be British automatically and could apply for a passport directly.
Char (CR001 not Casa)