ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ID cards: Be very afraid.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Hernancortes

ID cards: Be very afraid.

Post by Hernancortes » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:50 pm

The government has realised that the public doesn't trust them with vast amounts of info and have therefore decided that: non EU citizens, airport workers and various public servants working in certain environments will require an Id card.
This is ID by stealth and i think for the database scheme to be sold to the public, you just mention the magic words ' it helps stop illegal immigration' for the public to agree to it.

Britain is a very scary country and its about to get worse.

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Yes, and a bit of plastic will prevent another World Trade Center attack.

kg1983

Post by kg1983 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:57 pm

Like terrorists will require an ID card to enter the country. 7/7 terrorists were all home grown British citizens.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:36 pm

As with anything else in life, if you follow the money trail you can get some idea as to why they are insisting on doing this. I can bet the companies that have been contracted to work on the ID card are anxiously waiting for the pot of money, hence must be 'contributing' to the party coffers.

Why else would bureaucrats get all excited about something to which there's so much opposition amongst the general public?
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

Hernancortes

Post by Hernancortes » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:35 am

I bet Capita and EDS get the contract. The whole scheme stinks of authoritarianism and corruption.
I hope there's civil disobedience when people are required to register for the database.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:32 pm

These companies don't even need to bribe ministers directly. They use the 'revolving door' technique, i.e. promise lucrative jobs in their companies soon after these folks leave office. A recent example is Tony Blair joining the board of Merrill Lynch.

The govt is sneaking the ID card in by limiting it initially only for foreigners and airport staff. The general populace will buy into this easily, thinking it's only for 'those bloody foreigners' - soon people get used to the concept.

Civil disobedience? Not in countries like Britain where the public is lulled into lethargy by side shows on the idiot box and the like.
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans