ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

U.S. Law Degree (juris doctor) - is it equivalent to a Maste

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mkopff
Newly Registered

U.S. Law Degree (juris doctor) - is it equivalent to a Maste

Post by mkopff » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:13 pm

Anyone know if a U.S. law degree (i.e. a juris doctor) is equivalent to a master's degree? It is a three-year post graduate program in the United States required to practice law. It is not, however, necessarily in the "same subject" as the bachelor's degree. My bachelor's degree is in Psychology. Then I also have a law degree (JD).

Also, does anyone know if (assuming it is the same as a master's) if you can claim points for membership in the American Bar Association (this appears in the calculator as being worth 30 points) IN ADDITION to claiming the points for the law degree? Or are they redundant?

Also, does anyone know why in the calculator the master's shows up as having only 30 points (the same as a bachelors), whereas in other places on the site a master's seems to be awarded 35 points?

Man, this is all so complicated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:15 pm

Jd is equivalent Master's degree

mkopff
Newly Registered

JD is equivalent to a masters? Evidence required?

Post by mkopff » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:05 pm

What kind of evidence do I need to submit along with my JD diploma to prove that it is equivalent to a masters? Do I need to pay all that money to NARIC for a letter, or is the home office already aware that it is equivalent?

Also, do you have any insight into whether ABA membership can be used to get more points, or if that is redundant to the JD degree?

Thank you so much for your help..

SYH
BANNED

Re: JD is equivalent to a masters? Evidence required?

Post by SYH » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:46 pm

mkopff wrote:What kind of evidence do I need to submit along with my JD diploma to prove that it is equivalent to a masters? Do I need to pay all that money to NARIC for a letter, or is the home office already aware that it is equivalent?

Also, do you have any insight into whether ABA membership can be used to get more points, or if that is redundant to the JD degree?

Thank you so much for your help..
why would membership give you any points?
I have a jd degree, and got points based on a masters.

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:07 pm

I wouldn't recommend paying for NARIC unless you've gone to a non-accredited school. It's not really worth the money.

Also, there is a points calculator now on the HO website that will ask you what school and what degree you've gotten, and then calculate the points appropriately. You can try this, and if it's there (your school and degree), then NARIC isn't necessary anyway since it means that they've already determined the equivalency.

If you've gone to school in the US, you're most likely fine anyway.

Hope that helps.