ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Return of PR Card vs BRP after citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

takdeerwala
India

Return of PR Card vs BRP after citizenship

Post by takdeerwala » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi Friends. I have become British Citizen on 16/11/2017. Earlier I was Non EU citizen but spouse of EU citizen and under PR. As per rules, one has to return the BRP card after attending Citizenship Ceremony. I have a Question:

1) The PR card under Biometric Format which is given to Non-EU spouses under EU Law is BRP or not? It needs to be returned? This link creates confusion:-
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chan ... categories

Residence card (biometric format)

Successful applicants will receive a residence card (RC) in a new biometric format. The cards are similar in design to the biometric residence permit (BRP). They are the size of a credit card, and show a person’s personal information e.g. name, date of birth and nationality, status in the UK and a photograph.

Please note: the RC is different to a BRP, which are issued to certain non-EEA nationals who are subject to immigration control. RCs are issued to non-EEA nationals who have a right of residence in the UK under EU law.

I just wanted to make sure that whether I need to return this PR card or not? Whether it is BRP or not.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Return of PR Card vs BRP after citizenship

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:33 pm

PR card is a BRP but you do not have to send it back as you have PR under the EU rules and not the UK Immigration Rules, i.e. ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Thank you very much. Yeah I was confused as my PR Card say EU Right to Reside. It is different then the normal BRP card (ILR) which people return after citizenship which may be stating something else.
I was worried about Fine/Penalty prospect after not returning this PR card.

justwait
Newly Registered

Post by justwait » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:24 am

Hello gurus,
Me and my son ( non EU citizens) are both got RP cards on a basis of family members of EU citizen. Yesterday we have attended British citizenship ceremony, now we are British citizens.
If follow the rules we have to return our BRP cards back to HO. And then we applied for citizenship in an application form we have ✅ that we promise to return brp during 5 days after Citizenship ceremony.
Reading comments of the above I am more frustrated and absolutely don't know what to do.
There is nowhere ANY INFORMATION that PR card is different than BRP card, also during application process of getting our permanent residence card in correspondence with HO always it been sounds like BRP.
Please could you help to clear the question :do we have to return our cards or not?
Thank you.

Alecarrey
Newly Registered

Post by Alecarrey » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Please any link with the information related with returning the EEA family member Residence Card?
Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Alecarrey wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:49 pm
Please any link with the information related with returning the EEA family member Residence Card?
Thanks.
Not required to be returned.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.