ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse status

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hardrocker
Newly Registered

Spouse status

Post by hardrocker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi all

I am a British citizen married to a non-EU citizen. Currently my wife is in the last 12 months of her 5 year period and can apply for ILR in November next year 2018. Fortunately or unfortunately I have secured an excellent job in Middle East and will be moving there in first quarter of 2018. My query is about what happens to my wife's status. I am planning to take her with me to Middle East once I secure a permanent visa and a house. So we are looking at 2nd quarter of 2018 for her to join me. She will probably be leaving 6 months before her 5 year period is completed. I believe for her to stay here in UK will also not make any sense as I will not be present in UK. Please can someone provide me more information on what will be the best option. I cannot delay my joining.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse status

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:21 pm

Let the visa run out and start again when and if you decide to return to the UK.

For ILR you are required to meet all the same conditions (financial/English) and prove you are 'present and settled' in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hardrocker
Newly Registered

Post by hardrocker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:37 pm

Sorry if I misunderstood but do you mean my wife can apply for an ILR even after two years if we decide to return.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:53 pm

No she cannot. You would have to start again from scratch with a new spouse visa and 5 years residence.

You should also note that ILR is not 'indefinite' if you are not living in the UK. If she lives out of the UK for 2 or more years, her ILR lapses. Short visits do not maintain the status.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hardrocker
Newly Registered

Post by hardrocker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Thank you. Final query before I shut up.
My wife can apply for a British nationality immediately after getting ILR under the spouse visa category?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:10 pm

She can yes provided she meets ALL the requirements including the absence limits of no more than 270 days in the 3 years immediately preceding the application and no more than 90 days in the 12 months immediately preceding the application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:18 pm

The answer is :"I believe for her to stay here in UK will also not make any sense as I will not be present in UK."
Ask your wife what she wants. SORRY.