ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

The truth about muslim marriages Channel 4

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

asif_sharif
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

The truth about muslim marriages Channel 4

Post by asif_sharif » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:39 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... y-marriage

Slightly paranoid now

So me and my and missus have go get an civil ceremony now ?
married 21/02/2014
21/04/15 DOCUMENTS submitted
22/04/15 reaches BHC islamabad
REFUSED 10/07/2015
appeal 31/07/2015
payment 14th August
review deadline 24th December 2015
COURT DATE 18TH JANUARY 2017
entry allowed
wife arriving 29th April 2017

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: The truth about muslim marriages Channel 4

Post by Casa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 am

This is relevant to Islamic marriages in the UK, not in your home country where the marriage is legally recognised. That's assuming you followed the correct procedure in Pakistan. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Re: The truth about muslim marriages Channel 4

Post by secret.simon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:08 am

Note that if you have an Islamic marriage in the UK, the article suggests that the location of the marriage also matters.

Scotland and Northern Ireland are separate legal jurisdictions and had different requirements for marriage. As per their website, the imams of the Glasgow Central Mosque are authorised to conduct a marriage that is both religious in nature but also meets the requirements for civil marriage. Similarly, imams registered with Northern Irish Registrar General can conduct religious marriages, which are recognised for legal purposes. So, a nikaah that is also a civil marriage is possible in Scots and Northern Irish law.

To the best of my knowledge, English law (which also applies to Wales) does not provide for such a combined service. English law restricts the location of the marriage ceremony and only marriages conducted at specific licensed places, such as registrar offices and CoE churches, but also tourist hotspots such as the Palace of Westminster, are considered legal. Some mosques have taken the trouble to get licensed to conduct weddings and such marriages would be recognised under English law.

As an aside, that was allegedly one of the reasons why Prince Charles married Camilla at the Windsor GuildHall and not in Windsor Castle. If he wanted to get married in Windsor Castle, it would have to be licensed for such an event and then it would have to available for anybody wanting to get married there, not just for royal weddings.

Also see this briefing on non-recognition of Islamic marriages in England and Wales and this guidance on Muslim marriage and divorce in Britain.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.