ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Homeless mother coming to the UK -Help

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Elariafo
Newly Registered
Italy

Homeless mother coming to the UK -Help

Post by Elariafo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:01 pm

MY MOM: Italian 61 years old, a single mother, no other family members to help.
She lost her job and house and I have supported her financially when possible by sending her money from the Uk.
After losing the tenancy of our house she has been living in temporary accommodations and in very poor conditions ( no heating, no food, no money) for nearly four years.
No other help is available in Italy at the moment and she would only get a small social pension/welfare in four years time.
These challenging years damaged her health conditions and she developed major depression, anxiety and other physical and mental disabilities.

ME: Italian 29 yrs old, I have been living and working in the Uk for more than 5 years (financially independent).
I live in a shared accommodation right now and can't afford to rent a place to move in with my mom, or paying for her accommodation separately. I am very worried and this is becoming very challenging for me.

ACTUAL SITUATION
She is staying with me temporarily as my roommate went two months away.
After doing a lot of research (Gov.uk, Citizen Advice) I know that she has to stay in the Uk for at least 3 months before getting any help or support. She speaks beginners English but at the moment she is recovering from trauma, she is not able to walk and she has frequent anxiety attacks. I am not excluding the possibility for her to find a job (that is also why I have applied for her National Insurance Number) but at the moment it doesn't seem the first option.
I booked her NIN appointment so we can get a letter with her name and my address in order to proceed on other practical points like register to a GP and open a Bank Account.

Do you have ANY advice about what I could do next? I'm a bit lost.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

blondesafari

Re: Homeless mother coming to the UK -Help

Post by blondesafari » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:37 pm

I’m sure your mother cannot just come here without exercising her treaty rights and claim benefits of any sort. She would have 3 months to prove that she has a job, started a business (self sufficient, etc). In that time she will have to support herself, or you will have to support her. If she does not exercise treaty rights after that, she will have to become your dependent living with you, or leave the country. You said she has never lived here before, so you know she can’t claim housing or benefits here as she has not paid anything into the system.i believe you will have to support her until she is able to support herself. I will wait for others who may know more to respond