ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply British Passport for a child who traveled outside UK after birth?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

morty25
Newly Registered

Can I apply for naturalization from UK born child from outside UK?

Post by morty25 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:58 pm

Dear Adviser,
Is it possible to apply for MN1 (naturalization form) for a UK born child who is currently in India? If so, please advise the proceed or redirect to me to website link.

To more details about the child applicant.
1. Child born in UK to Tier 2 WP Parents.
2. One parent(father) attained ILR/settled in UK after the child was born. (I understand that, If one of the Parent is settled in UK since the child was born, then the child is eligible to register a British Citizen)
3. Mother still in Tier 2 Dependent visa as she hasn't completed 5 years of residence in UK under Tier 2. (I understand from the forum that she can still extend her visa as Tier 2 Dependent even though the main applicant has been switched to ILR, Is my understanding correct?? COS is not applicable anymore as the main applicant is on ILR , so on what basis can she extend her Tier 2 dependent visa - please explain)
4. As my daughter is in India currently on Indian Passport and she does not hold any UK visa. As we are planning to bring her back to UK soon, I am thinking about applying for BP rather than a UK dependent visa. Is it feasible ?
5. Please advise whether MN1 (naturalization) can be applied from India and following this, can she apply for BP from India. ( I read that the processing time can be upto 6 months, Is this correct?)

Thanks in advance for your support. (I really appreciate the service provided by the website, as they are really helpful for everyone..)

JAJ
Australia

Re: Can I apply for naturalization from UK born child from outside UK?

Post by JAJ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:12 pm

Child can be registered as a British citizen.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-mn1

Child will lose Indian citizenship upon becoming British- although this may not be important.
A British passport can be applied for in India although as others have noted may take a long time.

Tier 2 visa questions should be asked on the appropriate section of the forum.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

morty25
Newly Registered

Post by morty25 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:30 pm

Thanks for your reply.
Is it possible to apply for mn1 from India or does the child has to be in UK to get naturalization certificate. ?
I can apply for BP only after getting naturalization certificate.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:48 pm

Child does not have to be in the United Kingdom. The registration certificate will be sent directly to the address requested.

Unless child is close to age 18 and turns 18 during processing. Then the child needs to attend a citizenship ceremony either in the U.K. or at a British diplomatic post.

If by some chance the child has turned age 18, then the entitlement has lapsed and an application can no longer be made.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

morty25
Newly Registered

Can I apply British Passport for a child who traveled outside UK after birth?

Post by morty25 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:23 pm

Dear Advisers,
Could you please clarify some of the questions I have related to British Passport application for UK born child,

My Child is born in UK 04/2017 and father attained ILR after five months from Child's birth. I understood that under section 1(3) I can register the child as British Citizen through MN1 form from within UK. Currently Child and her mother have travelled to India on their maternity leave and planning to return during Feb.

1) Considering the above scenario If the Child's MN1 form registration is successful, Can I apply for British Passport in UK post office while the child is in India?
2) If there is any passport interviews required , can this be rescheduled to India High commission office?
I understand that biometric picture can be taken from VFS office in India. I read that I can send the MN1 form and Passport application together. Is this correct??

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Morty