ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

An Indian Citizen, living in US, hoping to get to UK !!!!!!!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

penilane009
Newly Registered

An Indian Citizen, living in US, hoping to get to UK !!!!!!!

Post by penilane009 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:16 am

Hello

I was hoping for the IB community to guide me, give tips, and offer any help as best they can. All comments will be greatly appreciated.

Here's the situation. I was born in India, have a valid Indian passport. Have been living in the United States for the last 14 years with my family who have been unlucky in the immigration process here. I will get my BA in political Science and will apply to some UK universities (for a masters), in the end hoping to become a UK citizen; beginning the process while I'm attending school. If it helps in anyway I'm studying international relations, with an ultimate goal in working with the foreign service, representing the UK in forgeign matters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I'm hold a Indian passport, when i go to get my visa will they ask me about my stay in the US and will the Indian consulate be invloved at all?

I have heard of a way where once you have stayed for a certain time in the UK you can apply for permenant residence. Does the time spent going to Uni. on a student visa count?

IF so, does I just apply for UK citizenship while i'm there on the student visa?

When does one take the life in the UK test?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by penilane009 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Hoping to get info. and help from this forum's community

Post by Wanderer » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:20 am

penilane009 wrote:Hello

I was hoping for the IB community to guide me, give tips, and offer any help as best they can. All comments will be greatly appreciated.

Here's the situation. I was born in India, have a valid Indian passport. Have been living in the United States for the last 14 years with my family who have been unlucky in the immigration process here. I will get my BA in political Science and will apply to some UK universities (for a masters), in the end hoping to become a UK citizen; beginning the process while I'm attending school. If it helps in anyway I'm studying international relations, with an ultimate goal in working with the foreign service, representing the UK in forgeign matters.

I have heard of a way where once you have stayed for a certain time in the UK you can apply for permenant residence. Does the time spent going to Uni. on a student visa count?

Yes - towards ten years legal stay. Basically UK has the following timescales for PR;

14 years any stay

10 years legal stay

5 years on Work Permit or HSMP

3 years via marriage.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

penilane009
Newly Registered

Post by penilane009 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:26 am

Wanderer wrote:

Yes - towards ten years legal stay. Basically UK has the following timescales for PR;

14 years any stay

10 years legal stay

3 years via marriage.

once i have gotten my UK visa, I will have to spend ten years in the UK and then apply?

Will i be able to go outside the country, beacuse i will not be allowed to apply for a government job (in the UK), so am thinking interning for international organizations, while i wait for perment residency in the UK ?

MOre importantly, how do i transition from a temporary student visa to applying for citizen ship and beginning the legal ten year stay? Just apply while i'm in the UK on student visa?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:10 am

Wanderer wrote:

14 years any stay

10 years legal stay

3 years via marriage.
2 years on marriage.

There is absolutely no guarantee that the 10 year rule will still be in place in 2018.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:11 am

penilane009 wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

14 years any stay

10 years legal stay

3 years via marriage.

once i have gotten my UK visa, I will have to spend ten years in the UK and then apply?

Will i be able to go outside the country, beacuse i will not be allowed to apply for a government job (in the UK), so am thinking interning for international organizations, while i wait for perment residency in the UK ?

MOre importantly, how do i transition from a temporary student visa to applying for citizen ship and beginning the legal ten year stay? Just apply while i'm in the UK on student visa?
Absences will count against u - too many and PR will be refused. I forget the figures but it's something like not more than 180 days in total and no more 30 days at one time, so no, you won't be able hop around the world.

If you are here for ten years legally, you can apply for PR, then I think after one more year you can apply for citizenship. Don't forget you can only work 20 hrs a week on a student visa, being a perennial student is gonna need serious wonga.

You best bet would to switch to Work Permit, after ur studies but it's not easy, and the absence rules still apply.

I concur with JAJ - 2 years to PR via marriage, and also I feel there is a good chance these long stay rules will be withdrawn, the UK is going for a points-based system and these long stay rules just don't sit well with that.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....