ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA PR Card (Student in the UK for around 20 years, unable to apply for EEA PR Card)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Enz1234
Newly Registered
Portugal

Unusual EEA Application (lived in UK for 25 years)

Post by Enz1234 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi,

I am trying to consider my options for applying for EEA Permanent Residence Card and the subsequent British Citizenship (after holding the PR for 12 months). Both my parents and I are EEA nationals.

As a background, I moved to the UK with my parents when I was 2 (in 1992). Since then my parents have both been working full time (and therefore I believe, exercising treaty rights). Given they were part of the EEA, they never felt the need to obtain a British Citizenship or an EEA Permanent Residence Card.

Now in 2017, I would like to obtain an EEA PRC and subsequent British Citizenship. I did not have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance during any of my studies (up to degree level) and have not yet been working for 5 years (started full time continuous employment in June 2013).

I’ve seen other options (see below in yellow) and I considered if I could potentially apply as a Family Member or an Extended Family Member (based on point 2, as a “relative that does not qualify as a family member”).

It appears to me however that the details point to “dependency” and I would therefore not be able to apply as a family member, or as an extended family member. This is as although I’ve lived with my parents, I have income from my employment.

I’m seeking advice as it seems odd that although I have lived here for 25 years and both I and my parents have paid significant taxes, I will still need to wait until June 2018 to apply for an EEA Permanent Residence Card through a standard application as a “qualified person exercising treaty rights”.

My main questions:
1. Do you agree/disagree with my understanding above?

2. Based on my situation, does anyone see a way that I could get this done sooner than 2018?

3. Would I be able to apply for EEA Permanent Residency for my Dad (with me as a dependant for a time period BEFORE I was under 21? Will I still be required to prove I had Comprehensive Sickness Insurance as a Child (under 21)?

I would really appreciate your advice given my limited knowledge on this subject and the unusual nature of my situation.

Thanks,

Family Members
You can apply as a direct family member if you’re related to the EEA national as:
• their spouse or civil partner
• their (or their spouse or civil partner’s) child or grandchild who is under 21 or a dependant
• their (or their spouse or civil partner’s) dependent parent or grandparent

Extended Family Members
You can apply as an extended family member if you’re either:
• the unmarried partner of the EEA national and you’re in a lasting relationship with them that’s similar to a marriage or civil partnership
• a relative of the EEA national (or of their spouse or civil partner) but you don’t qualify as their family member

NatCam
Georgia

Re: Unusual EEA Application (lived in UK for 25 years)

Post by NatCam » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:50 am

I wonder if your Dad could apply for a PR card and include you in the application? If you could prove that you were dependent on him while being a student... ?

NatCam
Georgia

Post by NatCam » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:52 am

Enz1234
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by Enz1234 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks for your help and the link. This is actually part of my question. The guidance out there does no really cover how a retrospective application would work which is why I was seeking further advice.

Please can another expert advise?

Enz1234
Newly Registered
Portugal

EEA PR Card (Student in the UK for around 20 years, unable to apply for EEA PR Card)

Post by Enz1234 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Main two questions:
1. Would I be able to apply for EEA Permanent Residency for my Dad (with me as a dependant for a time period BEFORE I was under 21)? Will I still be required to prove I had Comprehensive Sickness Insurance as a Child (under 21)?

2. Based on my situation, is there a way that I could get an EEA Permanent Residency done sooner than 2018?

--

I am trying to consider my options for applying for EEA Permanent Residence Card and the subsequent British Citizenship (after holding the PR for 12 months). Both my parents and I are EEA nationals who would like to naturalise in the UK.

As a background, I moved to the UK with my parents when I was 2 (in 1992). Since then my parents have both been working full time (and therefore I believe, exercising treaty rights). Given they were part of the EEA, they never felt the need to obtain a British Citizenship or an EEA Permanent Residence Card.

Now in 2017, I would like to obtain an EEA PRC and subsequent British Citizenship. I did not have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance during any of my studies (up to degree level) and have not yet been working for 5 years (started full time continuous employment in June 2013).

I’ve seen other options (see below in yellow) and I considered if I could potentially apply as a Family Member or an Extended Family Member (based on point 2, as a “relative that does not qualify as a family member”).

It appears to me however that the details point to “dependency” and I would therefore not be able to apply as a family member, or as an extended family member. This is as although I’ve lived with my parents, I have income from my employment.

I’m seeking advice as it seems odd that although I have lived here for 25 years and both I and my parents have paid significant taxes, I will still need to wait until June 2018 to apply for an EEA Permanent Residence Card through a standard application as a “qualified person exercising treaty rights”.

I would really appreciate your advice given my limited knowledge on this subject and the unusual nature of my situation.

Thanks,

Family Members
You can apply as a direct family member if you’re related to the EEA national as:
• their spouse or civil partner
• their (or their spouse or civil partner’s) child or grandchild who is under 21 or a dependant
• their (or their spouse or civil partner’s) dependent parent or grandparent

Extended Family Members
You can apply as an extended family member if you’re either:
• the unmarried partner of the EEA national and you’re in a lasting relationship with them that’s similar to a marriage or civil partnership
• a relative of the EEA national (or of their spouse or civil partner) but you don’t qualify as their family member

vinny

Re: EEA PR Card (Student in the UK for around 20 years, unable to apply for EEA PR Card)

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:51 pm

Your parents probably automatically acquired PR in 2006. You, being a family member, would have automatically acquired PR in-line with them then as well. To preserve PR, you may also need show that you haven’t been absent from the UK for over 2 continuous years since aquiring PR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.