ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post citizenship/registration

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nzshay

Post citizenship/registration

Post by Nzshay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi there,

This is a quick question, and probably fairly dumb, but I just want to know about post citizenship/registration as a British Citizen with regards to ensuring that it is not 'lost', particularly for my children who have been registered.

Once they are registered as a British Citizen, if they leave the UK can they continue to maintain their British citizenship? Can they obtain a British Passport at 16 if they are not resident in the UK? The same applies for us I guess as well.

The other question is with regards to the difference between Naturalisation and Registration. Is their any substantive difference in status between the two states? Is their any difference in status between a child that has been registered by Section 1(3) or Section 3(1)?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you to all the contributors and moderators who have made this site a necessity for anyone embarking on the Visa and Citizenship pathway in the UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Post citizenship/registration

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Once they are registered as a British Citizen, if they leave the UK can they continue to maintain their British citizenship? Can they obtain a British Passport at 16 if they are not resident in the UK? The same applies for us I guess as well.
Yes. It is not lost simply for living out of the UK. Remember ILR BRP has to be returned to HO so cant be used to travel back to the UK.
The other question is with regards to the difference between Naturalisation and Registration. Is their any substantive difference in status between the two states? Is their any difference in status between a child that has been registered by Section 1(3) or Section 3(1)?
No difference. Children are Registered and adults are naturalised. Section 1(3) is an entitlementfor a UK born child and section 3(1) is at discretion for a non UK born child with ILR. All the same end result i.e British otherwise than by descent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Nzshay

Post by Nzshay » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:15 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:13 pm
Yes. It is not lost simply for living out of the UK. Remember ILR BRP has to be returned to HO so cant be used to travel back to the UK.

Sorry CR001 I am not sure I quite understand your answer... could you clarify? My fear is that if we ever have to return to NZ the kids will lose their rights. Obviously we have applied for passports with our current application. Thank you so much to you and your colleagues for this amazingly useful forum.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:23 pm

Nzshay wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:15 pm
Sorry CR001 I am not sure I quite understand your answer... could you clarify? My fear is that if we ever have to return to NZ the kids will lose their rights. Obviously we have applied for passports with our current application. Thank you so much to you and your colleagues for this amazingly useful forum.
They will NOT lose their British citizenship simply for moving to another country.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.