ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling on Indian passport just after British Citizenship ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pradyumnaj
Newly Registered
India

Travelling on Indian passport just after British Citizenship ceremony

Post by pradyumnaj » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi,

I'm scheduled to travel to US (from UK) and back just after my British citizenship ceremony. I'm pretty sure my British passport will not arrive in time before I leave. Can I use my Indian passport (and ILR BRP) to go to the US and back without any issues? (my Indian passport has a US visa)
I think entering the US should be ok (on Indian passport and US visa) but I'm worried about the return entry into UK. If I show them the ILR BRP and they see me as a British citizen on their system, will that be an issue?

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Travelling on Indian passport just after British Citizenship ceremony

Post by Wanderer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:21 pm

Not allowed, your ILR and BRP are rescinded the second you recieve British Citizenship.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:45 pm

Postpone your ceremony till after you return from the US.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:51 pm

Be aware that your ILR BRP may be impounded on reentry to the UK, as happened here. You would of course be allowed into the UK as you will have become a British citizen.
Wanderer wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:21 pm
Not allowed, your ILR and BRP are rescinded the second you recieve British Citizenship.
I would phrase it slightly differently. Your ILR ceases to exists when you become a British citizen and are therefore no longer subject to the Immigration Act 1971. Therefore your BRP, which denotes that you have leave to remain under the Immigration Act 1971, is no longer valid.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

askhans786
United Kingdom

Post by askhans786 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:02 pm

I would be cautious as I am in similar situation where I have to travel to Israel in Jan and my ceremony is held before my departure.

VFS website states that there is three month grace period.
http://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/Surrender.html

'There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel. It is further clarified that as far as UK is concerned, the three months grace period is mainly given to physically take possession of the Foreign Passport. Once Foreign Passport has been obtained, the grace period is no longer applicable. Any travel on Indian Passport after obtaining Foreign Passport is liable for penalty and Indian passport will be seized by Immigration authorities'

I would not take risk either postpone ceremony or wait till you get passport and then travel

intalex
Kenya

Post by intalex » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:20 pm

How about travel with your Indian passport and naturalisation certificate?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:13 pm

intalex wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:20 pm
How about travel with your Indian passport and naturalisation certificate?
A naturalisation certificate is NOT a travel document. Airlines will expect to see a visa in a passport or a BRP card.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.