ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GOOD CHARACTER REQUIREMENT AND CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fimboz

GOOD CHARACTER REQUIREMENT AND CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION

Post by fimboz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:22 pm

I am considering applying for British citizenship and would like your advice regarding good character requirement. My immigration history is as follows:

(a) I arrived in the UK with my mother in 2009. I was 11 years old at the time
(b) Ten months later my mother applied for asylum. In between there was a period of illegal stay for six months
(c) In August 2010 my mother was granted refugee status and I was granted as her dependant.
(d) In 2015 both myself and my mother were granted indefinite leave to remain

Does the fact that there was a period of illegal stay affect me considering that I was a child (11 years at the time). Would I be punished for my mother's mistakes?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tammydestiny
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: GOOD CHARACTER REQUIREMENT AND CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION

Post by Tammydestiny » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:13 am

Am not an expert, just looking for advice too.

I think it shouldn’t affect you at all to be honest.You probably don’t even need to declare it. But given HO can sometimes use anything to refuse an application. Probably it’s best just to explain this on your application. Am hoping you don’t have too and everything works smoothly. Good luck on your application

Zamba
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: GOOD CHARACTER REQUIREMENT AND CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION

Post by Zamba » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:07 pm

I applied for British naturalisation in 2017 and the home office refused my application on the basis of good character requirements. On question 3.10, the application form asked "Have you ever been involved in, supported or encouraged terrorist activities in any country?" and I ticked no as I previously applied for travel documents and BRP card and the same question was asked which I ticked No on, My refusal letter stated as i was granted asylum on the basis of being suspected as being involved in terrorist activities, I was required to tick yes on question 3.10 which I failed to do. I applied for reconsideration stating that if the question stated suspected I would've ticked yes but because it didn't mention the word suspected I didn't tick yes as I was never involved in, supported or encouraged terrorist activities but I was just suspected,it was simply a misunderstanding as i am not a proper english speaker either, a organisation helped me to even fill in the form as I couldn't fill the form my self. Regardless, my reconsideration application also got refused. The letter also states that if I still wish to become a British citizen a fresh application will need to be made but they have advised me to take into account the 10 year re-application advisory, does this mean that if I make a new application and ticking yes on the question 3.10 and attaching an apology letter with my application it will give me a chance to obtain British naturalisation.I was wondering is there any chances for me to gain British naturalisation after my reconsideration was refused as it was genuinely a honest mistake, I did not deliberately deceive the home office. Is there a possibility for a judicial review. What would you guys advise me to do. My children were granted british citizenship, they refused mine and my wife's.