ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need to Travel after ceremony but before I can get my passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

HKnomad
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Need to Travel after ceremony but before I can get my passport

Post by HKnomad » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted some advice regarding travelling to and returning from Hong Kong without a British passport.

I have attended my naturalisation ceremony at the end of OCT and have already cut up and return my BRP.
I havent applied for my British passport yet (which in hind sight I should have straight away!) as up to until a week ago I didnt think I needed to travel abroad so soon.

However, I will now have to travel back to HK due to personal/family matter on the 26th DEC and returning in the first week of Jan - which is too late for me to apply for a British passport / CoE ROA.

My circumstances are as follow:
1. I have, currently my existing HK passport, which allows me to enter UK, without permit/visa, as a VISITOR only for a 6 months period.
2. I also have a British National (oversea) passport, which also allows me to enter UK, without permit/visa, as a VISITOR for a 6 months period.
3. I ordinarily live in and work in UK

My plan is to to travel with both of my non-British passports as well as the certificate of naturalization (which I know is NOT a valid travel document). I've stated point 1&2 above because I am fairly certain that I will be allowed to fly back from HK to UK even if I dont have my BRP anymore. The main problem, as I can see, is entering UK border without a Birtish passport or proof of citizenship (other than the certificate)

Just wondering if anyone might have been in the same boat and would be able to shed some light?

Many thanks in advance.

P1ZZA
Newly Registered
American Samoa

Re: Need to Travel after ceremony but before I can get my passport

Post by P1ZZA » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:40 pm

I can't answer any of your questions in detail. But, If you apply and send it before the end of tomorrow, there is a chance that you will get your passport before your intended travel date.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:50 pm

P1ZZA wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:40 pm
I can't answer any of your questions in detail. But, If you apply and send it before the end of tomorrow, there is a chance that you will get your passport before your intended travel date.
Unlikely as the OP will first have to attend an interview before the passport will be issued. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

yuanting1117
Newly Registered
Taiwan

Post by yuanting1117 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:07 pm

Hello

I am in the same boat, ive got a Taiwan passport.

Waiting for my UK passport at the moment, but due to business trips i need to travel to Asia.

Would it be ok to go through the UK boarder with taiwanese passport for now? Did you travel with HK passport in the end?

Thank you :)

giramondo
Newly Registered

Post by giramondo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:46 pm

Probably worth emailing [FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk] or calling

UK Visas and Immigration if you have a general immigration enquiry.

UK Visas and Immigration contact centre
Telephone: 0300 123 2241
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4:45pm
Friday, 9am to 4:30pm
Find out about call charges

Get a response on paper and take the printed response with you as you travel, then at least you have something to show for your efforts.