ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I just found out that my friend is an illegal immigrant

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tmonaghan
Mood:
United Kingdom

I just found out that my friend is an illegal immigrant

Post by tmonaghan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:50 am

Hello,

I don't want to loose the friendship that I have with a friend of three years who is from India and has been living in the UK for 11 years illegally. I just found that. I don't want to do anything such as reporting him to the Authorities. Instead, I would like to remain friends. What are my options has a British Citizen please?

Trevor

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: I just found out that my friend is an illegal immigrant

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:45 am

You dont have any options and cant make his stay legal based on your status. Immigration doesnt work like that.

He will have to sort it out himself and either leave or find an application and substantial justification on why HO should grant him a visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tmonaghan
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tmonaghan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:48 am

Thank you CR001.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:30 pm

You could guide him to these forums and based on the information he provides, we could guide him on how to regularise his stay, if it is possible.

If he has been illegal for 11 years, there may be implications for any future immigrations applications.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

tarekhasan
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tarekhasan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:06 am

Wait till April next year, a visa on the basis on private life now requires 20 years residence. Rumours are this might be reduced to as 12 years and there might be new options to regularise his status. Watch out for the next immigration bill.

tmonaghan
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tmonaghan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:35 am

Thanks Guys for the advice. We had a disagreement because I found out. I am not going to be involved anymore with it. In addition, and to be honest I am afraid that if the authorities raided his home, and he has also one of his friends with the same problems living together, I could have had problems as the result of knowing his illegal status. I could have not envisaged us remaining friends anymore because of the lack of genuineness in our friendship. I won't report him as this is not my business and it will be up to the authorities to handle such case if they found out and I don't want to be part of it...

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:37 pm

tarekhasan wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:06 am
Wait till April next year, a visa on the basis on private life now requires 20 years residence. Rumours are this might be reduced to as 12 years and there might be new options to regularise his status. Watch out for the next immigration bill.
Where did you hear these rumours? Can you post a link?

I would be a bit cautious on this point. It is more likely that the threshold for ILR(LR) may be increased from 10 years to 12 years than the long-term illegal residence be reduced from 20 years to 12. Even before 2012, the illegal residence threshold was 14 years.

Changes to the Immigration Rules do not require an Immigration Bill. They are written by ministers as secondary legislation and take effect automatically, unless either House of Parliament passes a resolution against them, which is exceptional and has happened very rarely for any secondary legislation.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.