ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting married and Tier 4 expiring

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amandamcarvalho
Newly Registered
Brazil

Getting married and Tier 4 expiring

Post by amandamcarvalho » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:35 pm

I am Brazilian, I am here in the UK with a Student Visa and I have just finished a Masters. I will get married with my fiancée who is Spanish and is working here. We have already given the notice of marriage and we are waiting for the letter of the home office to book the wedding. In the register office they said we would receive this letter probably in the begging of January. My question is, because my visa expires on late January, I do not know what I should do if I can not get married before this date. I already have my flight to Brazil booked. I would like to know how should I proceed. Should I stay here until we get married? Would I be able to go to Brazil? If yes, do I need a visa to come back? Probably before I am going to Brazil, I will have the date of the marriage booked.

lunallena
Mood:
European Union

Re: Getting married and Tier 4 expiring

Post by lunallena » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi there,

Once you give notice of marriage, it usually takes 28 days to get a response. However, because you are non-EU, this period can be extended to 70 days (the OH should contact you in case the period is extended from 28 to 70 days). If you have a valid visa it should be quite straightforward but make sure you email or phone the registry office after 28 days to make sure everything is going ok.

"Should I stay here until we get married? Would I be able to go to Brazil? If yes, do I need a visa to come back? Probably before I am going to Brazil, I will have the date of the marriage booked" Once your visa expires you may find difficulties to come back to UK. When are you planning to get married? If you plan is to apply for a resident card, you need to get married before your visa expires and then apply for the RC while you are still in the UK. If you leave the country after the wedding, you will need to apply for a family permit from Brazil.

I hope this helps