ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

URGENT VARY application process help !

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gauravraj
Newly Registered
India

Application rejected ! urgent help needed

Post by gauravraj » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:36 pm

Dear All,
My wife's same day ILR application is refused based on the reason that they were not satisfied about 5 years continuous stay. I have attached the reason of refusal and my explanation which I intend to use for review. Can someone comment if it is worth a review. Given that here visa expires on 5th December 2017 , if the review is unsuccessful the only option is to go back to India and do a fresh application.

Tire 2 ( Dependent) History
Date arrived in The UK 3rd January 2013
Date granted Visa category duration of on Tier 2 (general)
19-Dec-12 Tier 2 (Dependant) 12-Dec-12 to 30-June-2013
01-Aug-13 Tier 2 (Dependant) 01-Aug-2013 to 04-June-2015
10-Jun-15 Tier 2 (Dependant) 10-June-15 to 05-Dec-2017

Reason for Refusal as stated in the letter.
In considering your application it is noted you arrived in the United Kingdom on 3rd of January 2013 with Tier 2 Partner entry clearance valid from 19th December 2012 to 11 December 2014 you were subsequently granted further leave to remain as stated above. Therefore, the Secretary is not Satisfied that you have completed a period 5 years in the United Kingdom as dependant spouse of Points Based system migrant.”
Your application is therefore refused under paragraph 319E with reference to paragraph 319E(d).
[/highlight]Appeal: After reading the explaining carefully multiple times, I am still not clear what was the exact reason for refusal as I can draw multiple conclusion as to why the caseworker may have refused the application to grant the further leave to remain.
A) The case worker has counted the 5 years continuous stay from 3rd January 2013 when I entered the UK and not from 19th December 2012 when I was first granted the entry clearance under Tier 2 dependent visa.
- If the above situation holds true than, I think an error in judgment might have happen from the caseworker as the Home office guideline on Indefinite leave to remain: calculating continuous period in UK explained on page number 14 reads as follows
“The period between entry clearance being issued and the applicant entering the UK may be counted toward the qualifying period. Any absences between the date of issue and entry to the UK are considered an allowable absence. This period will count towards the 180 days allowable absence in the relevant 12 month period. The applicant does not need to provide evidence to demonstrate the reason for delayed entry. If the delay is more than 180 days, you can only include time after the applicant entered the UK in the continuous period calculation.”
To confirm the interpretation of above guidelines, a telephonic consultation was taken by calling the UK Home Office inquiry line on the morning of 8th of November 2017 where the immigration advisor confirmed that I should count my continuous period from 19th of December 2012
My application was based on the information provide as above in guideline issued by Home office, according to which I am entitled to count my 5 year period from 19th of December 2012 and can submit a settlement application up to 28 days before they would reach the end of the specified period. Following the information an application was submitted on 30th November 2017 which was covered under the above rules
B) The second conclusion I can draw is that, the casework did calculate the 5 years continuous residency period from 19th December 2012, however as my current permission to stay expires on 5th December 2017 making the caseworker feel that I might not have a continuous visa to cover 5 years of stay .
- If that is the situation, than again I believe an error in judgment may have occurred, As the guidance say that I am eligible to submit an application 28 days before the end of 5 years of continuous stay as per information on page 14 and 15 listed on on Indefinite leave to remain: calculating continuous period in UK guideline. However, when I read the guidelines initially I was not sure about the interpretation of the guideline and hence decided to call the Home office inquiry line. A call was made on 23rd of November 2017 between noon and 1:40pm to the helpline number where one of the home office advisor “Holly” (recording of the call can be provided )advised me that it is perfectly ok to submit the application on 30th November 2017 and this should be no problem as even though my current permission to stay expires on 5th December 2017 ( just a few days before I complete 5 years of continuous stay) I am still covered under the 28 days eligibility criteria to submit my application and also as the on the date of my application I will still have illegal permission to stay in the UK. This was not the only call made to helpline to confirm the above information, A call was made on 22nd November 2017 where an advisor confirmed the same information stating that am application is legitimate as I am applying 28 days prior to complication of my 5 years of continuous stay .
I believe my application was made following as per the guidelines stated my Home office and supported my information obtained from telephonic consultation with home office inquiry advisors. Based om the supporting information proved above I kindly request the Administrative review officer to please freshly review my application and grant me the permission to Indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Application rejected ! urgent help needed

Post by zimba » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:51 pm

The decision is correct as per rules. The ILR continuous period for PBS dependants is counted from the first DATE OF ENTRY TO THE UK.
The guide you looked at is for main applicants.
UKVI helpline gives out incorrect immigration advice all the time and it does not have any legal standing.

Based on your dates, the earliest day to apply for ILR under PBS dependant route is 6 December 2017, 28 days from completing the 5 years.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/please-help- ... ?#p1550221
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Unfortunately as Zimba has correctly advised, the HO 'help line' is notorious for giving incorrect advice, even on the simplest immigration issues. It appears that the help line is outsourced to an agency whose staff are poorly trained. This link below will show you the challenge you face when you appeal about the bad advice given over the telephone.

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/immigra ... pectation/
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

gauravraj
Newly Registered
India

Post by gauravraj » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Dear Zimba88 and Casa,
Thank you for your comments and kind inputs, unfortunately will have to digest the bitter pill and take the fee loss. Given that her current visa expires on 5th of December 2017 and the earliest see can apply for ILR is 6th of December 2017, leaves me with only one option and that is to apply for extension under PBS dependent visa and than ILR.
As its only a day short, can I first apply for extension by post and than vary my application to an ILR application? is that an option at all? any help /information will be really appreciated . Should be do-able.

Might sound ambitious , should I keep any hopes of getting refund on refused application on basis of incorrect information provided by home office advisors ? Very slim chance, as in the example in the link posted previously. .
Thank you again.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:22 pm

Apply for her ILR before visa expiry via post. Then she will be eligible after posting and ILR will be granted
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

gauravraj
Newly Registered
India

URGENT VARY application process help !

Post by gauravraj » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 pm

Hello,
After Initial refusal of my ILR application earlier in November 2017,reason : caseworker was not satisfied with 5 years continuous stay as be calculated from the day I entered the UK ( 3rd January 2013 and not the date visa was granted (19th Decemebr 2012):
- visa granted date 19th December 2012 under 'Tier 2 partner'
- 01 July 2013 to 15 July 2016 as dependant under Point based system ( As by husband changed job on Tier 2 general )
- 10th June 2015 to 5th December 2017 as dependant under Point based system ( As by husband changed job on Tier 2 general )
based on the above dates I will be applying for ILR based on 5 years of continuous stay .

However as my first attempted of ILR was rejected on 30th November 2017, I had applied for PBS dependent extension visa by post on 04th December 2017. However as now I am in that 28th days window to apply for my ILR ( calculating from date of entry 3rd JAn 2013), I intend to vary my application from PBS dependent to ILR.
My understanding of the process is That I apply with same set of Documents as normal ILR process with SET(O) form and support it with a cover letter to explain my reason for vary and why I think it should be consider . Is there anything specific I need to mention in the cover letter or any additional documents needed to be provided as a part of vary process.

For application ( on 14th December 2017, Croydon) I will be submitting following.
-Cover letter ( explaining reason for varying the application)
- Set(0) AF
- life in UK certificate
-Letter from NARIC for English language
-Biometric card
-Bank statement ( last 6 months)
- Employment history
- Cohabitation prove last fiver rent agreements, marriage certificate
-Travel history
- husband immigration history ( he has a ILR from December 2016, and I am still on in Tier 2 dependent visa)

Is there any document as a part of ILR application or Vary process I am missing. As my appointment is on 14th December 2017 ( managed to get in half and hour ago ) any prompt reply guidance will be of great help .

Many thanks ,
Rutu

salarzai
Newly Registered

Re: URGENT VARY application process help !

Post by salarzai » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:18 pm

Dear gauravraj,

Can you kindly share your experience of varying your applicatin to ILR here on this forum please?
It will really help us please.

Kind regards,

S.