ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I travel out of the UK without BRP?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hupmum
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Can I travel out of the UK without BRP?

Post by hupmum » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi all,
I'm having a citizenship ceremony next week. I need to go abroad in 3 weeks time (2 weeks after the ceremony).
I'm hoping to receive the new passport before my travel date (it's a joint nationality - passport application).
However, just in case I don't get it in time, could I travel out of the UK on my foreign passport only?
I will have a naturalisation certificate. But just want to make sure I won't have any trouble boarding the flight.

(My country allows dual nationality so I will still keep my foreign passport)
I won't have a BRP as I think I need to return it within 5 days from the ceremony?

I know I can't come back to the UK on the foreign passport only, but my plan is that someone could collect the passport for me and courier to my address abroad before I return to the UK.

Thanks everyone

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can I travel out of the UK without BRP?

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:23 pm

You can leave the UK. BRP is required to return to the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

giramondo
Newly Registered

Post by giramondo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:36 pm

While what you are planning ("someone could collect the passport for me and courier to my address abroad") is possible, there is basically a risk you to not being able to return into the UK.

What if the courier fails to deliver your passport to your non-UK address, or gets lost?
Ask yourself if the trip is worth the risk.

Happy New Year!

ariskar
Member of Standing
Mood:
Greece

Post by ariskar » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:11 pm

You will still have a citizenship ceremony certificate. If things go wrong you can apply for a passport at a British diplomatic mission abroad. You may just waste some time...