ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Girlfriend overstayed visa, is spouse visa viable?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Trainstop
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Girlfriend overstayed visa, is spouse visa viable?

Post by Trainstop » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi all,

I'd love to get some advice or a reality check on whether a future together is possible. I have done some research and understand that rules have changed a lot recently.

Situation:
First met my girlfriend 8 months ago, we started seeing each other 4 months ago.
She's overstayed student visa around one year.
She came to UK three years ago.
She struggled to pay for her studies and had been together with her ex for a year and they broke up two months after her visa expired. I believe her ex had a large influence on her making the mistake of overstaying and the breakup is likely to have escalated her mistakes but I know this holds no grounds from a legal standpoint.
She is from Vietnam
Her father passed away four months ago as a consequence of alcoholism
Her mother lives in Vietnam
She speaks decent English
I have a comfortable wage and a professional occupation.
We have never lived together but have been considering it.

Possible ideas:
Spouse visa but from what I have read, this seems difficult - I have read sources which say she can voluntarily leave UK and they won't note her as an overstayer but other sources say it will be noted, can anyone confirm?
She seems to think it is possible for her to apply for a refugee visa but I have limited knowledge on this

If anyone can shed some light on what we can or can't do, that would be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Girlfriend overstayed visa, is spouse visa viable?

Post by Casa » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Your girlfriend won't be able to apply for any other category of visa from within the UK. Are you considering marriage?

The definition of 'refugee' is a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster. Does this apply to your girlfriend :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Trainstop
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Trainstop » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Casa and the explanation of criteria for refugee.

I would consider marriage if it has a large probability of working. I've read advice saying it's better/essential for her to go back to her own country to get married there but her friends have told her if she leaves, it's too difficult to return. I think the overstaying part will have a large impact on the success rate?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Trainstop wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:31 pm
Thanks for the quick reply Casa and the explanation of criteria for refugee.

I would consider marriage if it has a large probability of working. I've read advice saying it's better/essential for her to go back to her own country to get married there but her friends have told her if she leaves, it's too difficult to return. I think the overstaying part will have a large impact on the success rate?
There's no option, overstaying will only end up in deportation which would make it very difficult to return.

There's always a price to pay.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Have you tried to get to know this lady and ascertained if she is the one you wish to spend the rest of your life with and if the feeling is mutual?

Why does she want to claim.asylum? Is she at risk of persecution in her home country?
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:25 pm

If you marry outside of the UK and apply for a Spouse Settlement visa, she shouldn't be refused under 320(7b) of the Immigration Rules, but she could face a refusal under 320(11) if any of the reasons for 'frustrating the intentions of the Immigration Rules' apply.

Read through the link:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... raph-32011
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:33 pm

In my experience, they do not tend to impose 320(11) in case of overstaying unless there is something more to the case.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:44 pm

Obie wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:33 pm
In my experience, they do not tend to impose 320(11) in case of overstaying unless there is something more to the case.
Obie, that's why I suggested the OP check through the list of reasons to refuse under 320(11).
(Casa, not CR001)

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:51 pm

Casa wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:44 pm
Obie wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:33 pm
Obie, that's why I suggested the OP check through the list of reasons to refuse under 320(11).
No Casa I was not suggesting you said something wrong. In fact you were correct in setting out all the possible options in relation to refusal.

I was trying to make the point that even though it has not been used in overstaying in matters I personally know, I have heard of cases where it has.

Trainstop
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Trainstop » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:57 pm

Again, many thanks for all the replies no matter how upsetting they are to hear.

She never had any problems with the police or any of the aggravating factors as far as she is aware.

She could not afford the school fees and her family in Vietnam were in debt. We know this is not an adequate reason but we hope this would help some way towards explaining why she overstayed.

We do want to be together but due to my job and family, it is not viable for me to move to Vietnam. I work as an actuary and am currently undertaking exams which are relevant only to the UK industry.

Ultimately, we have not been together significantly long but we are sure we want to be together. If however, it turns out the chance of a realistic future together is close to zero then we'll have to reevaluate our relationship.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:07 pm

Providing there is only the issue of the overstay and you are able to meet the minimum income level of £18,600 p.a if you marry outside of the UK you should then be able to apply for a Spouse Settlement visa.
You will also have to submit evidence of a genuine relationship, adequate accommodation and your wife will need A1 level English from a Home Office approved test provider.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse
(Casa, not CR001)

giramondo
Newly Registered

Post by giramondo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:24 pm

Dear Trainstop,
Did your girlfriend know she was overstaying? or did she not "know" until the visa expired?