ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling and working

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

graeme777
Newly Registered

Travelling and working

Post by graeme777 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:31 pm

hi my names graeme and once i finish college i hope to go travelling but im not sure what visas and permits i need for travelling and working throughout Europe, i hope to travel as far through the EU as possible while working

Any help appreciated thanks.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Re: Travelling and working

Post by Dawie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:34 pm

graeme777 wrote:hi my names graeme and once i finish college i hope to go travelling but im not sure what visas and permits i need for travelling and working throughout Europe, i hope to travel as far through the EU as possible while working

Any help appreciated thanks.
You need to tell us what your nationality is before we can give you the options...
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:41 pm

At this time, each country requires that you have a work permit to work and pay taxes in that country.

Meaning, an employer and a work permit for each country.

Ways around that:

1) An employer who has rights & the need to employ you and send you to different countries as part of their business activities.

2) Partnership &/or ownership of your own firm, which has rights and need to send you to different countries as part of business activities.

For 1) and 2), basically there would be a country acting as your 'anchor' country, where all your income and taxes would be documented & accounted for in the course of your various business activities throughout various EU/EEA countries.

3) ??? there are probably some other options, but I can't think of simple ones that don't require an in-depth investigation (such as all the possible options for each country and how to exploit them on a case-by-case basis). Jumping from student to working holiday to tourist, etc etc woudl be the primary strategy.

4) Hopefully some other folks can jump in with suggestions.

Your nationality will determine some (many) of your options, or how easy or how difficult using some of those options are.

Languages you speak will be a factor.

Your education and work experience are important factors.

The profession(s) you are qualified for determine some options.

In some cases, depending on the above, you may work in some countries and just travel as a visitor to others. Working while under a visit visa is stupid, so I recommend against doing it. You get caught and your options in Europe will diminish instantly.

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom

chem1
Newly Registered

Post by chem1 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:36 pm

If you are young, which Im guessing you are, just go wash dishes in a bar or something. Terrible work but its really the only type of work you can really do that places will hire you without papers I think.

Another good option, again if you are young, look at trying to work at hostels. Their staffs are usually pretty transient and I dont think they care if you have papers.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:58 pm

chem1 wrote:If you are young, which Im guessing you are, just go wash dishes in a bar or something. Terrible work but its really the only type of work you can really do that places will hire you without papers I think.

Another good option, again if you are young, look at trying to work at hostels. Their staffs are usually pretty transient and I dont think they care if you have papers.
To avoid potential imprisonment and/or deportation, I would strongly advise anyone against working (or even trying to work) anywhere, unless you have permission to do so from the immigration authorities in the country you are in.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:32 pm

chem1 wrote:If you are young, which Im guessing you are, just go wash dishes in a bar or something. Terrible work but its really the only type of work you can really do that places will hire you without papers I think.

And if he comes to the UK, following your advice, and then gets caught, his employers get fined £5,000 for hiring him, he gets deported and then banned from re-entering the UK for at least a year, what advice can you give him?

There's even no point any of us giving advice until the OP does the bare minimum of telling us what nationality he is...

chem1
Newly Registered

Post by chem1 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:00 pm

sakura wrote:

And if he comes to the UK, following your advice, and then gets caught, his employers get fined £5,000 for hiring him, he gets deported and then banned from re-entering the UK for at least a year, what advice can you give him?

There's even no point any of us giving advice until the OP does the bare minimum of telling us what nationality he is...
Well of course getting proper papers is the best way to go. But if I had to count on my hands the number of 'non papered' foreigners working in bars and hostels and such, it would be quite high. Im just saying its done quite often.
Many people and employers are all too often willing to take this risk. If the employer is willing to do so, then our original poster here will have to know the consequences if he decides to take work in an illegal manner.

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:42 am

chem1 wrote:Well of course getting proper papers is the best way to go. But if I had to count on my hands the number of 'non papered' foreigners working in bars and hostels and such, it would be quite high. I'm just saying its done quite often. Many people and employers are all too often willing to take this risk. If the employer is willing to do so, then our original poster here will have to know the consequences if he decides to take work in an illegal manner.
You didn't just say "it happens", you suggested it as a course of action. It is not acceptable on this forum to give advice that recommends breaking the law.
--
Mark Y-M
London

graeme777
Newly Registered

Me again

Post by graeme777 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:06 am

I am from the uk, have work experience in a butchers doing general duties, have worked in a bar for over a year and have qualifications in computer graphic design but am competent in most aspects of computing. i dont speak much french but can read it alright.

thanks for all the help already noticed the working without papers part saying the employer can be fined and i deported. if that happens what happens to me travelling then? will my passport be flagged at security?

I was thinking of starting off in Amsterdam how would I obtain the correct papers for working there? are there any costs involved?

any help appreciated!

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: Me again

Post by Ben » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:15 am

graeme777 wrote:I am from the uk, have work experience in a butchers doing general duties, have worked in a bar for over a year and have qualifications in computer graphic design but am competent in most aspects of computing. i dont speak much french but can read it alright.

thanks for all the help already noticed the working without papers part saying the employer can be fined and i deported. if that happens what happens to me travelling then? will my passport be flagged at security?

I was thinking of starting off in Amsterdam how would I obtain the correct papers for working there? are there any costs involved?

any help appreciated!
I think people on this thread (including myself), wrongfully assumed that you were from outside the EU.

If you are a British citizen, you are entitled to work anywhere in the EEA, in any job. The only "papers" you need to work legally, would be your British passport. :)

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:30 pm

As an EU citizen, you have the right to travel and work anywhere in the EU. Your main limitation will be how you locate work and the agreements you engage in.

If you are located in any country for 90 days or longer, you are supposed to register with that country ... again, it comes down to tracking income and taxes.

If you want to work for cash-in-hand, the opportunities are there, but I'd very prefer if you (or anyone) will please refrain from discussing illegal activities in this forum.

Tax evasion is illegal, so please don't discuss methods of how to go about doing it here. I will be forced to ban people who provide information on methods of breaking the laws.

This forum is run and owned by a corporate entity and we do not have the luxury of allowing such discussions.

Thank you for your understanding! (AND compliance!!)

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom