ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(M) application by student. Was asked for proof of study.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

whatapalava
Newly Registered

FLR(M) application by student. Was asked for proof of study.

Post by whatapalava » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:56 pm

My new wife has been here in the UK on a student visa for the last few years and we both went to apply in person for an FLR(M). We thought we had brought all the required documentation as specified on the form but the lady at the counter came up with a left-field requirement that my wife should show that she has been attending her studies and has achieved what she needed to achieve as a student.

I pointed out that this was not mentioned on the FLR(M) form as being a requirement. The response I got was that because it was a change of visa type to another my wife has to prove that she is here legally and actively studying.

This seemed a bit suspect to me since I would have thought the current visa stamped in the passport was proof enough of her being an active student and here legally, especially since the student visa has been renewed over the years. Why have to prove all this again when she is not even applying to be here on the basis of being a student now? Also, supposing we had children, for example. Would they split up a family and deport one parent based on their academic performance?

While we look for a lawyer and re-apply by post, I would be interested to know if we were having the wool pulled over our eyes by the immigration official. Thankfully, we didn't get as far as forking out the half-a-grand fee before we hit this road block and left.

BTW I am a British citizen all my life.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:02 pm

Prolly cos so many students havent been studying on their visa and indeed some have been working full time - just read here.

I suspect they are trying to establish whether her visa is valid.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

vinny

LR(M) application by student. Was asked for proof of study.

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:40 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sunny9675
BANNED

Post by sunny9675 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:06 pm

holdong british citizenship does not allow to support illegal work or overstayers as per new law , if some employnig illegal will behind bars for 2 yrs

whatapalava
Newly Registered

Post by whatapalava » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:11 pm

sunny9675 wrote:holdong british citizenship does not allow to support illegal work or overstayers as per new law , if some employnig illegal will behind bars for 2 yrs
Huh? This is a student visa and marriage we are talking about here. No question of illegal work or overstaying. Sorry, I don't understand where you are coming from.

whatapalava
Newly Registered

Re: LR(M) application by student. Was asked for proof of stu

Post by whatapalava » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks that was most useful.