ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A query for British citizenship...

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

babyflo
Newly Registered

A query for British citizenship...

Post by babyflo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:20 pm

I am already PR here in UK for two years now. Since the HO keep on changing the immigration rules and even I am PR now here I feel not secured at all so I decided to apply for British citizen when I pass my test soon.

My question is, if apply for British citizen this year or probably around August am I under probationary citizen first or not?

And another question is, how much the cost now to apply and if my application is successful of course I need a UK passport is that another fee?

Lastly, in applying for British citizen is it the same procedure and the same requirements when I apply for my ILR two years ago?

Sorry if I have too many questions, but I highly appreciate all the advice and answers for my queries.

Many thanks!
Last edited by babyflo on Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:55 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: A query for British citizenship...

Post by Christophe » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:27 pm

babyflo wrote:I am already PR here in UK for two years now. Since the HO keep on changing the immigration rules and even I am PR now here I feel not secured at all so I decided to apply for British citizenship when I pass my test soon.

My question is, if apply for British citizenship this year or probably around August am I under probationary citizen first or not?
Any new provisions resulting from the Green Paper currently under discusssion won't have come into effect by August of this year, so you will not need to worry about "probationary citizenship". Assuming you meet all the requirements, you will be able to naturalise then as you can now.
babyflo wrote:And another question is, how much the cost now to apply and if my application is successful of course I need a UK passport is that another fee?
The current cost of naturalisation is I believe £655, but I don't think this includes the cost of the test.

Once you are a British citizen, you can apply for a British passport the same as every other British citizen; yes, this does attract a fee, of £72.
babyflo wrote:Lastly, in applying for British citizenship is it the same procedure and the same requirements when I apply for my ILR two years ago?
Broadly similar, except that nationality matters are all handled in Liverpool and there is no PEO - it is all done by post.

Forms and information about applying for naturalisation are available here. It is generally easier to use the NCS (Nationality Checking Service), who will check that your application is in order and photocopy your documentation, meaning that you don't have to be without things such as your passport while your application is being processed in Liverpool. The NCS is run by local councils, but you don't have to live in a council area to make use of the service. The NCS usually attracts a small administrative fee levied by the council.

JAJ
Australia

Re: A query for British citizenship...

Post by JAJ » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:07 pm

Christophe wrote: It is generally easier to use the NCS (Nationality Checking Service), who will check that your application is in order and photocopy your documentation, meaning that you don't have to be without things such as your passport while your application is being processed in Liverpool.
NCS are recommended, but if you do apply by post the Home Office will normally accept copies of passport (all pages) certified by a solicitor.

babyflo
Newly Registered

Post by babyflo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:48 pm

thanks to all. I hope my application for citizenship a success and I'll let you know the result. God bless to all