ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married to BC. Just got ILR. Can I apply now?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Happycar
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Married to BC. Just got ILR. Can I apply now?

Post by Happycar » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi there.
Reeeeally sorry if this has been asked a million times. I always thought the rules were you could apply for BC and passport after 12 months on ILR.
My husband is BC since birth and I have lituk pass and MSc from Edinburgh Uni.
I’ve just been granted ILR today. Also, just read that I’d be eligible to apply for BC and passport immediately.
Would someone be kind enough to confirm / pass on any issues I need to be aware of ??

Thanks very much

Noy

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Married to BC. Just got ILR. Can I apply now?

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:15 pm

Yes, assuming you meet all the standard requirements, including permitted absence etc, you can apply now. :)

Just ensure that on the day you submit your application you were present in the UK on the equivalent date 3 years prior to this.

If you want to your keep your original documents, submit your application through the NCS. Most Councils now offer the joint citizenship/passport application (JCAP)

https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... ng-service
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Happycar
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Happycar » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:46 pm

That’s fantastic news. Thanks for your quick reply !!

ariskar
Member of Standing
Mood:
Greece

Post by ariskar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:30 pm

Yes. You can check the residence requirements (last 3 years) under section 6(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2017.pdf

All the best!