ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expired Passport and Residence requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shivuk

Expired Passport and Residence requirement

Post by shivuk » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:49 pm

I am writing to seek advice of the members of this forum to prepare our applications for Naturalisation and Registration for British Citizenship with our expired passport.

Briefly our immigration history:
- Non EEA migrants – (myself, my wife and our three children: 15 years, 13 years and 10 year old)
- All of us came to UK on 30 March 2009 on Tier-2
- ILR was grated on 19 February 2014
- Passports Expired: 06 Dec 2016 (Mine) and 25 January 2017 (Others)

I understand from this forum that expires passport is not an issue for British Citizenship as long as alternative evidence for the period that is not covered by passports can be provided (Please correct me if I am wrong).

I understand again from the posts in this forum that UKBA/NCS accepts only letters from government, education establishments, employers and do not accept Bank statements, Utility bills or council tax statement (Please correct me if I am wrong).

I am thinking of getting employer letter, P60 and salary slips. Letters from Schools can be obtained for my three children. I hope these satisfy the resident requirements for me and our kids.

My wife does not work or claim any benefit. Only benefit we get are Child benefit (in my wife’s name) and Child tax credit (Wife and my name). We do not get any letter regarding Child benefit except initial award notice. The child tax credit award notice is issued only annually. It seems to me that I do not have much evidence to prove the residency requirement.

Please note that we have not travelled anywhere out of the UK since 30/03/2009 and therefore only stamp we have on our passports are arrival stamps (at Heathrow). I believe this is not an issue for non-EEA migrants (Please correct me if I am wrong).

We would be most grateful if you could advise whether this single evidence for my wife is sufficient. Any advice or guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Jegz82
Newly Registered

Re: Expired Passport and Residence requirement

Post by Jegz82 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:36 am

Hi Shivuk

Similarly, applied for Naturalisation for my wife with an expired passport through NCS - there wasn't any issues. (NON-EEA)
As they will understand that you would not be able to travel with an expired passport, thus you must have stayed within UK for the whole period. better to send some backups, like an employer letter, if you feel nervous about it.
My wife's application is still in consideration for last five months, but HO has not raised any concern about the expired passport yet.
Only problem we come across is that she could not travel anywhere until she gets the British passport, as our country does not allow for automatic renewal of the expired passport, we have to apply for dual nationality and thats a long process.
Hope this helps
thanks

shivuk

Post by shivuk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:38 am

Many thanks Jedz82

Glad to hear that NCS accepts expired passports.

As I said in my original post my wife does not work to get an employer letter. We both gets child tax credit in our name and the award letter is issued annually. My wife does get Child benifit in her name. But we do not get any notification letter for the child benifit.

Could you tell me (if possible) what additional evidences you supplied in support of your wife's application please?

Thanks again.

Jegz82
Newly Registered

Post by Jegz82 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:50 am

Hi,

No I did not submit anything, I was in the same doubt and was preparing nhs appointment letter etc
Password was only expired by five months - expired in Mar 17 - applied on Aug 17
But NCS did not take them

Please check if you got to lodge the application online now (new system), before going to NCS
thanks

shivuk

Post by shivuk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:22 am

Many thanks for your reply Jegz82

Did you mean that the NCS did not take NHS appointment letter?

Actually I was thinking to do the same think (asking GP and Dentist for a letter!!!). I was even thinking to get a new passport from our country (through high commision!!) before applying for naturalisation !!!

Thanks - I will check with NCS whether they need online submission!!

I hope that you hear from Home office regarding your wife's approval soon.

shivuk

Post by shivuk » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:51 pm

I have just come across these freedom of information requests that list some alternative evidences that EU nationals could submit in support of residence requirement. This seems to be contradicting with what some some members are asked for !!!

May be there was a change in guidance after this!!!!

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

1. March 2017
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... citizenshi
Documents should generally be official documents such as P60s/P45s, utility bills or council tax letters rather than mail offering loans or credit cards etc.

2. October 2016
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-888935
"evidence from official bodies such as local councils, government departments or evidence from banks, utility companies etc"

I am thinking of making similar request to find out what a non_EU national could submit as evidence!

(Moderators please delete this post if you think this information might misguides applicants)