ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife on uk spouse visa applying council home?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mrsrainbow143

Wife on uk spouse visa applying council home?

Post by Mrsrainbow143 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:05 pm

Hi all hope everything is well with you guys, i have a question... me and my husband currently renting a private landlord and planning to move out on May. so i asked him if he can get a rental home or flat thru council and he said no chance cause he got a bad record in council i mean he owe the council some payment sounds like that, so what if i (wife on spouse visa) will get application to apply for housing rental in council is that posible? and if yes can i add my husband to the tenancy agreement will council allow that knowing my husband got bad records on them. note my husband is the sponsor.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Wife on uk spouse visa applying council home?

Post by Casa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:09 pm

You won't qualify for council (social) housing while you are under immigration control and have no recourse to Public funds. In any event, the local authority would base entitlement on the whole family income and who would be living in the property. The entitlement will only be based on your husband as a single person (+ children if you have any).

If your husband has defaulted with paying rent to the Council, it's unlikely that he will be accepted as a tenant.

Also bear in mind that many have been waiting for years for social housing. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Mrsrainbow143

Post by Mrsrainbow143 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Casa wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:09 pm
You won't qualify for council (social) housing while you are under immigration control and have no recourse to Public funds. In any event, the local authority would base entitlement on the whole family income and who would be living in the property. The entitlement will only be based on your husband as a single person (+ children if you have any).

If your husband has defaulted with paying rent to the Council, it's unlikely that he will be accepted as a tenant.

Also bear in mind that many have been waiting for years for social housing. :idea:
thank you im just trying my luck that's why i ask here cause my workmate told me she applied for council housing and within 3 months she got it. btw she's polish living in UK i know we have different situation she's lucky :lol:

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Mrsrainbow143 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:41 pm
Casa wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:09 pm

thank you im just trying my luck that's why i ask here cause my workmate told me she applied for council housing and within 3 months she got it. btw she's polish living in UK i know we have different situation she's lucky :lol:
Polish citizen workers/self employed are free from immigration control but you ain't that's why :lol:
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.